GRF Search!

1 oz gold ingots

<<

nickvc

Post February 14th, 2010, 7:29 am

1 oz gold ingots

Been trying to get hold of the owner of a large refinery that produces 1 oz fine gold bars for ages and managed to track him down last week to ask him how they produce them.His company as suspected blanks them out of sheet,nice to have that much Au.When i asked if he knew of any other methods he suggested using a graphite block cut to shape placed on a set of scales and then weighing an ounce of fine grain/buttons into the block and then placing into a furnace.This seems a possibility for us small timers to produce an ounce ingot,to give it a more professional look maybe have a punch made with your details on would be a nice touch or to have the graphite cut with them. I reckon you will only make biscuits but its a start,any thoughts on this idea? Any faults or dangers?
<<

leavemealone

Post February 14th, 2010, 9:55 am

Re: 1 oz gold ingots

Hey nick.
Steve has a good video on how to build your own graphite mold.As far as getting exactly one ounce.....just shoot the gold,then weigh out exactly one ounce,remelt and pour.If you have a hard time getting "exactly" one ounce,just use a pair of tin snips and cut one of the beads until you do,it will be remelted anyways so it won't matter.
Johnny
Everything that is gold,doesn't always glitter.
<<

metalfish AR

Post February 22nd, 2010, 12:01 pm

I know a machinist that can construct a two piece mold made for spinning process. It will bolt together with a zero tolerance along the edges inside. He has made several other things for me when I was in the watch business. Those are my plans also so that is who I am going to use. Maybe I can help you out?
<<

Scott2357

Post February 22nd, 2010, 9:03 pm

I would be interested in molds of different capacities and shapes. Also, dies to stamp small coins.
<<

4metals

Post February 22nd, 2010, 9:42 pm

Graphite can't take the heat for long and starts to crumble. Placing it in a furnace and heating the whole thing will quickly yield rough surfaces on your bar, you may only get a few melts before the heat gets to it.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
<<

nickvc

Post February 23rd, 2010, 2:20 am

4metals im sure your right about the life expectancy of the graphite,the use of a fine file may remove the rough edges and extend the life of the mold not perfect but not many members have 100s of ounces to worry about :cry: so just throwing this around to see if between us all we can find a cheap simple route to make the odd ingot thats the magical 1oz.
<<

hphoa

Post June 17th, 2010, 9:33 pm

how about a one ounce fishing mold, might not say fine gold,will say one ounce.for around 40.00 bucks for mold.twice the weight wow 1/2 ounce mold.I though gold was closer than that.
Last edited by hphoa on June 30th, 2010, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jimdoc

Post June 17th, 2010, 9:44 pm

hphoa wrote:how about a one ounce fishing mold, might not say fine gold,will say one ounce.for around 40.00 bucks

But it would hold closer to two ounces of gold.And then you have to worry that the kids might use them fishin'.

Jim
<<

Oz

Post June 18th, 2010, 4:38 am

Guys and gals,

You should give this up trying to cast exactly 1 troy ounce. Has anyone noticed that all 1 oz bars and rounds are minted (as in pressed). Even the major mints that roll then punch out blanks to as exacting standards as they are capable of need to trim them to exact weight before stamping under great tonnage to make the weight accurate for coin and bar.
Debt is real, equity is opinion.
<<

Oz

Post June 18th, 2010, 4:49 am

hphoa wrote:how about a one ounce fishing mold, might not say fine gold,will say one ounce.for around 40.00 bucks

I will buy all of your 1 once fishing weights (avoirdupois or troy ounces) at even a 50% purity Au (.500) for your $40.00 per piece.
Debt is real, equity is opinion.
<<

HAuCl4

Post June 18th, 2010, 6:34 am

If you really want to do this to some type of accuracy, one way is:

1-Get a very accurate balance.

2-Either:
a)Make shot of your refined gold by pouring in cold water.
or
b)Roll a bar or make a fine wire that will allow you to cut/add gold to your balance till you get the exactly desired weight.

3-Carefully weight each amount and place each of them in porcelain crucibles with borax.

4-Load about 12 crucibles in an electric furnace till they melt into a button, let them solidify and drop them in cold water.

They will not look like ingots however, but you can hammer them into any shape you want.

You could also attempt to manufacture or have someone make you molds of zirconia or sintered silica with the desired shape, but these will not be cheap.
"Platinum is the only metal fit for a King". King Louis XV of France
<<

goldenchild

Post June 18th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Im not exactly sure what this thread is about. Obtaining a 1 oz mold or weighing out exactly 1 oz. If a mold is the aim then http://www.graphitesupplies.com or Ebay search for graphite ingot molds. Trying to weigh out exactly 1 oz could be tough but I've done it many times. You just have to be meticulous. If you have a scale that weighs out to the thousandths place (31.103) helps too. Weigh out 31.11 - 31.13 grams and melt. The extra accounts for any of the gold that may be left behind in the crucible or blows out if your melting power. Its really not a big deal though. I weighed out a troy ounce ingot of silver that I got from a large scale company for making some custom color gold alloy. It weighed 31.14 grams. These guys are professionals and werent even dead on.
Last edited by goldenchild on June 18th, 2010, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
<<

HAuCl4

Post June 18th, 2010, 2:47 pm

Thanks for the graphite supplies link!.
"Platinum is the only metal fit for a King". King Louis XV of France
<<

goldenchild

Post June 19th, 2010, 10:31 pm

HAuCl4 wrote:Thanks for the graphite supplies link!.

np. Harold... this stands for no problem :lol:
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Return to General Chat