unknown processor

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am new to this so forgive me but i have a weird looking amd processor with bright silver pins have been told it is not heavy enough for platinum anyone ever seen one is it possibly palladium

patrick childress said:
i am new to this so forgive me but i have a weird looking amd processor with bright silver pins have been told it is not heavy enough for platinum anyone ever seen one is it possibly palladium

Do you have a camera? You know to eliminate all the guessing.

And why exactly would you post this question in the Chemicals section?

Jim

patrick childress said:

If it's an older AMD processor in a DIP 40 pin package (whether ceramic or plastic) or in a CLCC or PLCC package, then silver colored tinned pins would be normal.

Thought I would hijack this post since the op didn't ever post pictures. Recently got this Digital server/workstation in without front and side cover. I have seen the chip that's under the heat sink before but not the Digital without a heat sink. Couldn't find much on the net about the machine or the chip. Still have the whole rig, just took the processor board out to snap some shots of the chips. It has 3 HD's in it too, any thoughts or more info on this?

Attachments

• DSC01088.JPG
    DSC01088.JPG
    439.3 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC01089.JPG
    DSC01089.JPG
    504.2 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC01062.JPG
    DSC01062.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC01060.JPG
    DSC01060.JPG
    379.3 KB · Views: 353
It looks like some LSI's that I picked up some time ago...
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=15909&p=164115&hilit=lsi+cpu#p164107

Phil

Smack said:
Thought I would hijack this post since the op didn't ever post pictures. Recently got this Digital server/workstation in without front and side cover. I have seen the chip that's under the heat sink before but not the Digital without a heat sink. Couldn't find much on the net about the machine or the chip. Still have the whole rig, just took the processor board out to snap some shots of the chips. It has 3 HD's in it too, any thoughts or more info on this?

The large LSI without cooling is the chipset for interfacing memory and PCI bus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_21164#21171
The model number tells me it's an Alpha XL300 Personal Workstation for Windows NT V2.1 with an Alpha 21164 300 MHz CPU.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/SOC/QB0033PF.PDF

Once a long time ago I would have killed for owning a computer like this. Nowadays I'm a lot friendlier... :mrgreen:

Göran

Under the heatsink is a ceramic with 2 prongs on it. It's a very high yield ceramic. A Good find.

Back