What are these shiny modules good for?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiberoptic transmitters and receivers. Value-wise I have no idea.
RX stands for receiver and the number is probably wavelength of the light. The different values hints to a usage in long haul fibers where they used in wavelength division multiplexing (WDM), sending several channels through a single fiber only on different frequencies of light. It was a way to increase bandwidth without putting in more fibers.

In it's time it was probably quite expensive but it has to be kept squeaky clean and I guess it's very sensitive for electrostatic damage too.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Fiberoptic transmitters and receivers. Value-wise I have no idea.
RX stands for receiver and the number is probably wavelength of the light. The different values hints to a usage in long haul fibers where they used in wavelength division multiplexing (WDM), sending several channels through a single fiber only on different frequencies of light. It was a way to increase bandwidth without putting in more fibers.

In it's time it was probably quite expensive but it has to be kept squeaky clean and I guess it's very sensitive for electrostatic damage too.

Göran

Hey Göran,

thanks again!

Slive

To add to what Goran was saying, the component is called an SFP (Small form-factor pluggable).

The one's you have look older or more proprietary than the one's I've used. Most of the SFP's today use a small PCB connector similar to what is used on RAM. Your's seem to have more of a CPU style connection and therefore would have relatively more gold than a traditional SFP.

You might want to look into collector value since they don't seem to be a common type of SFP, at least from my experience with Telecom gear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_form-factor_pluggable_transceiver

Back