Help with rare boards...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliScrapper

Hi,
This is my first post, but I’ve been reading the threads for a month or so. I had been trying to use SMF for help but that looks to be a ghost now. I buy non ferrous material for a large company in California. I’ve been collecting small amounts of (hopefully better quality) gold bearing items. Recently I had some old computer banks come in from NASA. I couldn’t keep them whole but was allowed to remove PCB’s to keep them from going through the shredder.
So through the reading I’ve determined that I wont be refining my gold( at least not in the next 10 years). This leaves me to the next decision; keep all the material until I’m ready to refine, sell all to a refiner/buyer, strip quality parts and sell, or sell the collector value and scrap the rest.
I’d love to get input from all the knowledge here. Some of you might just appreciate the find. Thanks in advance.
Caliscrapper
CFD14C6E-6FCE-4341-8BC6-1BAEB77D56BC.jpegDBF51D09-BB17-4E7D-926C-AEEAC5883D12.jpegB38C1D0F-BC95-4666-982C-F3D560D747B5.jpeg57F9C0C0-A0B7-4512-B05D-5A1B7CD4C4D5.jpeg476D752A-70F4-4A09-9ECC-F960DA8CF53E.jpeg

CaliScrapper,

Greetings from Sacramento, CA and welcome to the GRF board. Be prepared for a fun and interesting ride into the in-n-outs of PM recovery and refining. There are some very knowledgable and helpful people within the board.

I am a retired Industrial Designer who has over 30+ years in recycling and repurposing plastic waste from consumer and electronic products. The last 5+ years I have been redirecting myself to recovery and refining of PMs from consumer and industrial electronics. Most of this time has been spent building my equipment and earning my newbie "They told me not to waste my time on it, but, I had to learn for myself" T-shirt.

In regards to strictly PM refining, there are many on GRF who are more experienced than me. But, since we seem to be located on the "left coast" together, I thought I would reach out to you. Send me a PM and we can swap information.

Peace,
James :D

Welcome!
That’s some beautiful scrap. But if I can give you my two cents...
Advertise it on eBay. If you can add some pics connecting it to nasa even better.
Then take the money and buy some 10-14kt scrap a little Sterling silver. And the next few weeks reading « hokes » book. Then slowly experiment and learn. I have a similar job as you and once you start to know where to look and what to recover. Those boards will seem dull in comparison to what you’ll uncover. Best of luck!

lunker said:
Welcome!
That’s some beautiful scrap. But if I can give you my two cents...
Advertise it on eBay. If you can add some pics connecting it to nasa even better.
Then take the money and buy some 10-14kt scrap a little Sterling silver. And the next few weeks reading « hokes » book. Then slowly experiment and learn. I have a similar job as you and once you start to know where to look and what to recover. Those boards will seem dull in comparison to what you’ll uncover. Best of luck!

I second that notion. Much more enjoyable to refine karat vs ewaste. Way less waste and less time. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Dennis

Back