(WEEE Directive) was a European Community directive

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinhcase

Supporting Member
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE Directive) is the European Community directive 2012/19/EU on waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) which, together with the RoHS Directive 2002/95/EC, became European Law in February 2003.
As the U.K., has opted out of the European Union will that directive still be retained?
It might become a hole lot easier to collect electronic waste.
What do you think?

Every directive like that is also enacted as a local law in the member state. Unless someone wants to (and get the majority to) vote for the removal of the local law it will remain.
And if U.K. want to trade with the rest of Europe it has to comply with the regulations on exported goods, so I don't think there is any risk of that particular law being removed.

I deliberately use the word risk, since even if it makes it hard for the small guy to get scrap, I believe that the directive have a positive effect on the environment.

Göran

Not at all.

The regulation was there for a purpose to limit cowboys and given that the relatively low cost required to get the right licences isn't prohibitive it will stay. What it does prevent is the home guys doing it because the average back yard or basement doesn't meet the requirements.

Back