Problem with wet ashing of IC's

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnilSuthar

Hello guys,
I am new to this forum and in this field. I have separated the gold plating from all the pins. But when processing IC's and BGA chips, I tried wet ashing as it is most convenient for me at the time (I don't have anything to incinerate). I now have a mixture of sulfuric acid some metal and lot of black particles. My problem is how to separate the black particles as I can not filter the solution and I don't want to pour the solution and hope that the metals will stick in the bottom. I diluted the solution many times and drained the water but the black particles are still there. Should I use aqua regia directly(after removing base metals) or is there a problem with the black particles?
Note : All of this is on a very small scale, in a 200ml beaker. :? (It was tough due to small size for all the bubbles that came out but I managed to dissolve 100gm chips in it)

Wet asking is really not advised here on the forum due to the real dangers of using hot concentrated sulphuric, it has to be one of the nastiest acids around and can cause severe burns and even the fumes are highly dangerous so I would advise you not to do this again.
For what you have you can filter the solution if as you say it is diluted, a charming plug, toilet paper, or glass fiber insulation caked down should do the trick.

Thank you for the reply and I understand the risks of working with boiling H2So4. My problem is that the black material will not go through the filter paper and it will stick with the gold wires. Is that thing soluble in any acid or anything cheap enough? If not than I can dissolve everything in aqua regia and then filter to get the gold water?
And to precipitate the gold I need SMB which my chemical supplier says will come after one month when all the schools will order chemicals(He orders in bulk only). Is there anything else by which I can precipitate the gold.
One more thing, I am using HCL and Calcium Hypochlorite instead of Sodium Hypochlorite (Not using Aqua Regia) So, what else can I use to precipitate?

In your current situation, you should dilute your sulfuric acid solution with water, let it settle for 10 minutes, then decant into container.

You do this until water becomes clear. The residue should be mostly copper and small precious metals.

You can dissolve in nitric, heat it to red hot, to remove nitric from residue, dissolve in AR.

Another question, can I use Sulfuric acid and KNo3 instead of pure nitric acid? (Nitric acid is not available to public here and I dont have apparatus for condensation to make pure nitric acid)

Can anyone please answer my small questions? Please read all my questions and show me a way, not all of them are answered or do I need to ask each question in a separate thread? (That would not be good I think :? )

Wet ashing is too dangerous and thus is not discussed on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snoman701 said:
Wet ashing is too dangerous and thus is not discussed on this forum.

It's more that most people here don't even follow the safety required for using other more forgiving acids. Given that scenario they would hurt themselves badly using concentrated hot sulphuric, because it's far less forgiving. Now if they did use the correct PPE and safety protocols then it would probably be something to explore, but frankly there are people around that can't be trusted to be safe with water let alone anything corrosive. 8)

Agreed.

I'm more comfortable using HF than I am concentrated sulfuric at high temperatures.

What is it about hot sulfuric that causes you such concern? Is it just the combination of a strong acid (H2SO4 has a pka of -3, so its quite strong) and very high temperature (93% has a boiling point of over 300C)? I mean, not to say that a strong acid at over 3x the temperature of boiling water isn't in itself cause for concern!

chemtag said:
What is it about hot sulfuric that causes you such concern? Is it just the combination of a strong acid (H2SO4 has a pka of -3, so its quite strong) and very high temperature (93% has a boiling point of over 300C)? I mean, not to say that a strong acid at over 3x the temperature of boiling water isn't in itself cause for concern!

It's the fact that one drop in the eye has a completely different result from one drop in the eye of HCl or Nitric.

Yet they sell it as a drain cleaner for any idiot to use. Seems odd to me that something so dangerous is so readily available to the masses. Maybe if it's cold it's not as bad. I doubt that your typical maintenance guy in some hotel would even bother to use goggles, or gloves for that matter, when unplugging a kitchen drain line with 93% sulfuric acid. In his race to 'save the day' for the kitchen manager he might lose an eye!

Stay safe when using any acid, lye (sodium hydroxide), bleach, and any other chemicals. It only takes a second to 'safety up', and it takes even less time to lose an eye.

The real danger of sulphuric especially concentrated is that it is water hungry, we advise to cover the container when using a sulphuric stripping cell because it will draw water from the air even cold, now the human body is mainly water so add sulphuric and heat and you can figure the rest....

anachronism said:
chemtag said:

It's the fact that one drop in the eye has a completely different result from one drop in the eye of HCl or Nitric.

I was always under the impression that a drop of strong acid (HCl, HNO3, H2SO4, etc.) in your eye was going to give the same result (partial or complete blindness). Is it just that lab grade "concentrated" sulfuric acid is so much higher weight% of the acid (93/98% for sulfuric versus 65/70% for Nitric, and 32/36% for HCl)? Again, I apologize for my ignorance, I am just surprised to hear that sulfuric is uniquely dangerous.

Concentrated sulfuric is extremely hygroscopic. Add the 300+ degrees you need to have and you end up having a hygroscopic mist capable of denaturing proteins by dehydrating and by pyrolizing carbohydrates through the dehydration.

Also, chemistry at that temperature should be using thick walled glass, with no scratches, etc.

Breaking a beaker or flask at wet ashing temperatures is likely going to be ugly even in a university lab.

AnilSuthar said:
Another question, can I use Sulfuric acid and KNo3 instead of pure nitric acid? (Nitric acid is not available to public here and I dont have apparatus for condensation to make pure nitric acid)
Yes you can. You are effectively making nitric acid + K2SO4 when you do your mix.

AnilSuthar said:
Hello guys,
I am new to this forum and in this field. I have separated the gold plating from all the pins. But when processing IC's and BGA chips, I tried wet ashing as it is most convenient for me at the time (I don't have anything to incinerate). I now have a mixture of sulfuric acid some metal and lot of black particles. My problem is how to separate the black particles as I can not filter the solution and I don't want to pour the solution and hope that the metals will stick in the bottom. I diluted the solution many times and drained the water but the black particles are still there. Should I use aqua regia directly(after removing base metals) or is there a problem with the black particles?
Note : All of this is on a very small scale, in a 200ml beaker. :? (It was tough due to small size for all the bubbles that came out but I managed to dissolve 100gm chips in it)
I wouldn't recommend this process at all. The acid is being reduced to toxic sulfur oxides the process of the reducing agents like the epoxy

What about wet ashing at a lower temperature, around 70-80 deg. C, as the “Archimedes Channel” and Bohemia Graman have suggested and performed on YouTube? I’d still be pretty afraid about it as one appears to be a professional (Archimedes Channel) and the other seems to be doing it inside his/her house, but am just curious if it’s a little safer at those relatively lower temperatures?

Concentrated sulphuric is nasty cold and gets more progressively nasty as it heats up so my advice is to find a safer more forgiving method to accomplish your goals.

LT_golden said:
What about wet ashing at a lower temperature, around 70-80 deg. C, as the “Archimedes Channel” and Bohemia Graman have suggested and performed on YouTube? I’d still be pretty afraid about it as one appears to be a professional (Archimedes Channel) and the other seems to be doing it inside his/her house, but am just curious if it’s a little safer at those relatively lower temperatures?

NO :!: :!: :!:

Let me put it this way ---

Just because some idiot puts a video on You Tube about running in front of a speeding car & he doesn't get run over by the car --- does not mean you should go out & run in front of speeding cars to :!: :!: :!:

Kurt

Back