Aluminium Cathode for Gold Recovery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickjam

Hello everyone:

I have been saving my pins and now I have a large quantity to process. I tried the AP method with a handful and was not satisfied with the results, so I began researching electrolysis. I watched Lazer Steve's videos on the subject and have been reading for a while now. (I hate electricity so I am being super careful)

He uses a lead cathode, but in commercial settings I have read of an aluminium cathode for durability and longevity. If I am making one, as Lazer did, why not bite the bullet and do one in aluminium? Has anyone used aluminium from their computer scrap for a cathode?

I am beginning my build today and plan on starting with the anode side. I love how Lazer did the anode with the ability to add and remove items during processing.

Thanks!

Lino1406 said:
Al cathode is out of question. Al is corroded by ANY electrolyte
I concur.
Al cathode is either vary bad, because it will corrode and dissolve in most of electrolytes or very good, because while dissolving it will precipitate gold out of solution very much like zinc sheet does.
So you might consider it a superb "cathode" which does work even if your power supply is switched off and you do not need a dedicated anode either :D
However I would stick to established practice and carry on with zinc sheet or zinc dust like done elsewhere.

Metal sold as "aluminium" is usually some sort of alloy of it, often with copper (dural), and this can cause trouble, eg contribute to contaminants of your gold.

ChemGeek said:
Al cathode is either vary bad, because it will corrode and dissolve in most of electrolytes or very good, because while dissolving it will precipitate gold out of solution very much like zinc sheet does.
So you might consider it a superb "cathode" which does work even if your power supply is switched off and you do not need a dedicated anode either :D
However I would stick to established practice and carry on with zinc sheet or zinc dust like done elsewhere.
He's talking about a sulfuric acid stripping cell. There is no need for any aluminum or zinc to precipitate any gold. It does not stay in solution. The aluminum will just foul the sulfuric acid and cause problems. Stick with a lead cathode.

Dave

Lead is quite inert in any concentration of sulfuric acid but other metals have been used. Mild steel for example. If you get too much water dissolved in the sulfuric acid the base metals will start to corrode with the exception of lead.

For my first experimental reverse plating cell I used a piece of lead from the mantle of an old lead shielded power cable. An extra bonus was that the lead was easy to form, just folded it over the edge of the beaker I used.

I have no experience of aluminium as cathode in a sulfuric reverse plating cell.

Göran

Which part of the results were you not happy with?
The gold and the pins are so intertwined that getting them apart was tedious with washing. Then the small flecks of gold all wanted to float so I could not really just pour off the water. Just a sloppy mess compared to going straight into solution with a little electricity!

Thank you FrugalRefiner and g_axelsson. Lead it is!!!

Back