What to do with old AR ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uciocciu

Hi guys,

First of all, happy new year for all of you !
I hope the new year will give you happiness ( as individuals), and great successes ( as refiners).

I have a couple of questions, dealing with AR.

When the recovery process is over, is it possible to re-use AR for new refining processes ?
I wonder wether denoxing the solution will kill or not AR future efficiency.
By the way, is it possible to store AR ?

I precise I never realized any refining processes. I just want to know a little more ( so much !) before begining any practical works. That's the reason for my questions.

Thank you in advance for yours responses.

Best,
U ciocciu

When done correctly, there is nothing to reuse. The AR is consumed dissolving the metals. It's kind of like the gasoline used to fuel a car. It is consumed powering the engine, so there is nothing to reuse.

Dave

The problem comes with base metals, which contaminate the solution, you end up with a toxic soup.
What we do with the old aqua regia solution is to treat it properly for waste.

Thank you Frugal refiner and The Bucher,

Is denoxing the solution a proper treatment for waste, before transfering the acid batch to a waste management professional center ?

U ciocciu

You have to deNOx the solution before you can precipitate your gold. Once you've eliminated any excess nitrates (deNOx) and precipitated your gold or other precious metals, you can either treat the waste solution yourself or take it to a center.

Dave

Back