Ram testing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Williamjf77

Hello everyone,

Just curious if anyone knows a good way to test ram sticks besides plugging into a computer. I’ve seen expensive test instruments for the purpose but I can’t justify the money to try and save a few ram from the AP.

I guess maybe selling on eBay and accept returns would be a way to “ outsource”, but just curious if anyone does any testing before resale.

Thanks

Will

It's a grind to test memory in PC's but it gets the job done in low
volume situations. I normally try and find a PC with four DDR3
memory slots and just do the simple BIOS tests. It it's recognized
at POST, then chances are the memory is good.

I sell to memory buyers and I very seldom have any returns when
I at least do this level of "testing" before I sell the memory. I am
sure that you can get a memory tester that provides much more
in depth testing at all levels but at a cost. RAMCHECK / CST are a
couple of MFG's of memory testers but I don't deal in the kind
of volume that would necessitate that kind of device.

Anyway, let us know what kind of volume you are anticipating
and maybe one of the bigger recyclers here may have a suggestion? 8)

We sell anything PC3 and above on E-Bay. We pull it out of the machines as we recycle them. We don't test it. We always say the memory it tested and working and offer 14 day returns on memory. We sell 1000's of sticks a year and have never had any defective sticks come back. So for us it's easier to just gamble on the stuff being good vs. laying out the cash for a dedicated tester.

I sell all PC3 ram to keystonememory.com, untested. They test them and get back to me with any problems they discover with any bad sticks. They will ask for a refund from me on any bad ones. So far out of the few hundred I have sent I have received no requests for refunds. I have had a couple i3,i5,i7 cpu's test as non-working and they have asked for refunds on those. So far a very good experience dealing with them. All PC2/DDR2 memory gets sold as scrap only so no testing necessary.

Dennis

denim said:
I sell all PC3 ram to keystonememory.com, untested. They test them and get back to me with any problems they discover with any bad sticks. They will ask for a refund from me on any bad ones. So far out of the few hundred I have sent I have received no requests for refunds. I have had a couple i3,i5,i7 cpu's test as non-working and they have asked for refunds on those. So far a very good experience dealing with them. All PC2/DDR2 memory gets sold as scrap only so no testing necessary.

Dennis
Dennis, what are their payout rates compared to ebay prices? I know a lot of wholesell buyers buy on ebay as well.

silversaddle1 said:
denim said:

Dennis
Dennis, what are their payout rates compared to ebay prices? I know a lot of wholesell buyers buy on ebay as well.

silver,
I would suggest anyone wanting to do business with Keystone Memory to send them a list of stuff you want to sell to them then Craig will get back to you with prices. His prices have come down some, I think, due to a decrease in demand from the crypto-currency mining market.

Contact Craig Rosen at.... [email protected]

Dennis

Wow thanks for the replies, as far as volume it isn’t much right now, I have to go through a few lots but I’ve gotten quite a few 8gb ddr3 sticks in scrap lots and figured if there was a way to easily test I’d do it but the 14 day return policy sounds good.

Thanks everyone

Williamjf77 said:
Wow thanks for the replies, as far as volume it isn’t much right now, I have to go through a few lots but I’ve gotten quite a few 8gb ddr3 sticks in scrap lots and figured if there was a way to easily test I’d do it but the 14 day return policy sounds good.

Thanks everyone

FYI- I only sell memory I have pulled from computers. I don’t try to sell memory found in scrap boxes etc.

denim said:
Williamjf77 said:

Thanks everyone

FYI- I only sell memory I have pulled from computers. I don’t try to sell memory found in scrap boxes etc.

Me too.

That’s the main reason I was looking to test, I haven’t gotten through all the sticks yet but just sorting through random sticks I been getting quite a few 8gb sticks, I can’t see throwing them in acid until I test.

I sell Ram on eBay and the only returns I get are from suspected unscrupulous buyers. I have experienced the same for CPU. As rule Ram and CPU have a very low failure rate. We do a very secure packaging and I have had buyers say the package was damaged and 1 out of 10 CPUs "fell" out. I ask for pictures of the packaging and it has been "thrown away" Then I ask them to describe the packaging and the can't. These buyers get blocked. Over all a very successful endeavor selling to bulk buyers on eBay. Another thing to note is that many bulk buyers have several user names. They will use one mane to send you a ridiculous lowball offer then immediately escalate a series of offers so it looks like their highest of is the plateau of value. You have 48 hours to accept an offer so I usually let them stew for a while. 8 - 10 times someone else will step up and snatch the lot.

We sold to Keystone for years and never had any problems that we were aware of. If the memory was bad they offered to buy it as scrap, or return it at your expense.

Back