Help with extracting gold from jewellery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabras

Hello,

I am interested in starting to extract gold from jewellery. I was hoping you guys could attach some helpful links to older posts from this forum to get me started. Something that would explain different techniques used in order to extract gold from different types of jewellery (Karat, gold filled, plated etc.) would be lovely. Any tips and advice is highly appreciated!

Cheers!

Sabras.

Use the search function type in "CM Hoke" and download her book on refining precious metals. Fruglerefiner has a link in his sig line as do other members.

It will give you step-by-step information on the refining of all types of jewelry from equipment needed, safety to acids, precipitants and testing.

Ken

Check out the library by clicking on the link in my signature line. There is everything you can possibly need to know there, including free downloads of Hoke's book. We have worked to put this library together to eliminate repeated questions, feel free to read what you want and ask questions. There is plenty there to get you well on your way.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Sabras, welcome to the forum, good to have another member from our side of the pond!
Good advice has already been given above, you could also try putting into the search engine(top right of any page) the key word inquartation or inquarting, this will take you to the information you will need to process karat gold.
The big problem we have in the UK is getting Nitric acid due to European laws which mean we, the general public cannot be trusted to use nitric safely.

martyn111 said:
Sabras, welcome to the forum, good to have another member from our side of the pond!
Good advice has already been given above, you could also try putting into the search engine(top right of any page) the key word inquartation or inquarting, this will take you to the information you will need to process karat gold.
The big problem we have in the UK is getting Nitric acid due to European laws which mean we, the general public cannot be trusted to use nitric safely.

Thanks, glad to be here, I see I'm not alone in the struggle to obtain Nitric. Where do you obtain your Nitric from, any suggestions?

If you can get nitrate salts (fertilizer), sodium or potassium nitrate, and sulfuric acid (vehicle battery acid), you can make your own nitric acid, it will need to be distilled for a purer nitric acid for use with silver.
The forum has much information on making and using nitric acid, and making other reagents, there are many discussions on where members get their nitric and other items needed, you may find where members in your part of the world solved their problem of obtaining nitric and other supplies, with some study.

Unfortunately I will not attempt to obtain Nitric Acid without a proper licencing as it's a must in the UK. Recently found out :(

Back