Working indoors with Chemicals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldfever55

I would like to know if I can make a filtering system from the metal in my glass jar with Muriatic acid in it, put a stopper in it, run a tube to another glass jar, with a tube going into the top, or bottom, (I need to know which is better), the filtering jar while have a neutralizing substance in it (was thinking of water and baking soda), so the fumes that are coming from the muriatic acid will go through the tube into the neutralized container, then out into a large garbage bag for a backup. I live on the 5th floor, and there is no electrical outlets outside to run my hot plate. Can someone maybe help me with this idea, will it work? Thank you.

You can't and you do not want to acid process in your house, simple. In a separate building, or, depending the quantity you are going to process and you are away from any urban area, you will still require a fume hood connected to a fume scrubber. Even if you redirect all you fumes outside you will create an health hazard for your neighbors, all metals around will also rust.

Hold the material while looking for a proper place, or sell as is.

Marco

There is no chance that someone here will help you .You are not in a suitable location for refining.
You will put many people in danger,and could cause death, not to mention the damage to the building.
Refining is a science which uses dangerous chemicals,and that fact must be respected.
You could ignore everyone's advice,but you will need to find some way of explaining to the neighbor why his baby died.
john

I think you might be pushing your luck by trying to refine in a 5th floor apartment. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Okay, thank you for all the answers I receieved. I will respect what I read and not do any of my acid work inside my apartment, I beleive all you people are professionals in this field, this is why I asked this question in the first place, I thank you very much.

goldfever55 said:
I would like to know if I can make a filtering system from the metal in my glass jar with Muriatic acid in it, put a stopper in it, run a tube to another glass jar, with a tube going into the top, or bottom, (I need to know which is better), the filtering jar while have a neutralizing substance in it (was thinking of water and baking soda), so the fumes that are coming from the muriatic acid will go through the tube into the neutralized container, then out into a large garbage bag for a backup. I live on the 5th floor, and there is no electrical outlets outside to run my hot plate. Can someone maybe help me with this idea, will it work? Thank you.

This is another fine example of why I think there should be an introduction page to the forum as I suggested here http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=22914#p240400 with a "few" questions that need to be answered before new members (or visitors) can actually enter the forum to access the info provided here

goldfever55 (s) question would be answered on that introduction page

On the other hand, some say there is no such thing as a stupid question if the answer, heeded, will prevent a stupid action.
And no offense to Goldfever55 is intended. Asking is smarter than doing.

Collecting fumes in a garbage bag...? I'm trying to get my head around the weekly kerbside collection.

jason_recliner said:
On the other hand, some say there is no such thing as a stupid question if the answer, heeded, will prevent a stupid action.
And no offense to Goldfever55 is intended. Asking is smarter than doing.

Collecting fumes in a garbage bag...? I'm trying to get my head around the weekly kerbside collection.

Hehe, much of the reason I'm even considering messing (i.e., recovering PMs & rendering safer) with the old cyanide plating solutions in my shop is because I'm afraid if I don't, someone will just throw them in the dumpster some day. Let's not even consider what could happen when the nickel bottle (NaCN) smashes against the rhodium bottle (H2S04) whilst they're doing so...

It disturbs me to think that someone with some experience, (you say you work in a plating shop), would ask about refining in an apartment and catching the fumes in a plastic bag. I would expect that kind of thing from a total novice, but you know about the dangers of various chemicals and still had such thoughts. :?:

Rickbb I think you've mistaken upcyclist who tries to clean up in a plating shop of a kind with goldfever55, the original poster that was talking about refining in an apartment.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Rickbb I think you've mistaken upcyclist who tries to clean up in a plating shop of a kind with goldfever55, the original poster that was talking about refining in an apartment.

Göran

Thanks, Göran. You are correct. I wasn't the one trying to do this in an apartment, I was just posting an aside on the thought of old plating chemicals being left for curbside collection.

Back