Melting help needed

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewalston

I finally have gold in filter :shock: . It's not a lot but I'm expecting less than a gram. Anyway I'm trying to heat up and season my melting dish with MAP gas. The setup I have is the dish sitting on ceramic wool, which is sitting in my casserole dish. Problem I have is that my torches keep blowing out. I've attached two pictures of my torches. The two on the left are almost identical to each other. When I tried either of the left hand torches they would either blow out or created a yellow flame that sooted like crazy. The torch on the right just blew out. Could it be that having the dish/wool combo sitting in the casserole dish is causing too much turbulence and blows the torches out?

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 299
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 299
I am not sure this will help with out the right tip for your gas but it might be worth a try. If you have enough ceramic wool, build up a layer that almost reaches the top of your casserole dish. The idea is to have the top of your melting dish level or slightly above the top edge (of) your casserole dish, with the melting dish nestled in the ceramic wool around the sides. Ideally, two layers with the top layer having a hole that would fit the melting dish snugly. This will help with the torch going out or consuming the oxygen in the confines of the deeper casserole dish. Again, without the right gas/torch combination it it may still not be enough to melt your gold.

Good Luck, and be sure to post a picture when you do get it done.

Thanks Shark, I only have a small piece of wool. What I might do is try it without the casserole dish, just the wool and melting dish. I was just getting frustrated earlier today.

Rusty

What I might do is try it without the casserole dish, just the wool and melting dish.

I melt mine like that, but I use an oxygen/acetylene torch. I only tried it once with a propane torch with miserable results.

I can't comment on the types of tips versus gas. But are you sure the tank you're using has sufficient gas in it? I'm only asking because that's happened to me several times before.

MGH said:
I can't comment on the types of tips versus gas. But are you sure the tank you're using has sufficient gas in it? I'm only asking because that's happened to me several times before.
New tank, I did find a way to get it to work...now if people would just leave me alone long enough to get anything done....people around my house that is. I used a little bit too much borax and I got bbs everywhere, going to try again tomorrow to see if I can get it to move everything together...

Rusty

rewalston said:
MGH said:
New tank, I did find a way to get it to work...now if people would just leave me alone long enough to get anything done....people around my house that is. I used a little bit too much borax and I got bbs everywhere, going to try again tomorrow to see if I can get it to move everything together...

Rusty

So rusty what exactly is the problem here? Can't you melt without people poking their nose in?

spaceships said:
rewalston said:
MGH said:

Rusty

So rusty what exactly is the problem here? Can't you melt without people poking their nose in?
Around here I can't use the bathroom without someone wanting to know what I'm doing :lol: Tomorrow, I'm going to pour off the excess borax and try to get all the bbs into one spot and melt them together. I tried that with the borax in there, but they just wanted to go other places then where I wanted them to. I think I over did the borax when I seasoned the dish and then I put too much on the filters that I was processing..trying to keep ash from flying away.

Rusty

Propane torch's in the photo above, propane is a gas, it burns best as a gas and not as a liquid, when you turn the tank upside down it will try and force liquid out for the torch to burn (this can explain the torch "blowing out" when turned upside down), holding the tank upright the torch is taking gas from the tank and will burn better.
The propane tips work best with propane.
The orifice size in the torch is important to what type of fuel can be used, that and the amount of air (or oxygen), that is used to mix with the fuel.
some torches have orifices which can burn only propane (or at least work best on propane, and some for mapp gas, some use an orifice which can use either propane or mapp gas...
www.bernzomatic.com. you can check the tool you have and see what fuels are recommended.

My first thought would be to take those tip's apart and give them a good cleaning.
john

Back