Using a rotavap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im1badpup1

Hi does anybody have or use a rotavap for recovering solvents or acids when processing their materials?

What id specifically like to know is that in the past when ive been preparing metal salt catalysts for organic chemistry what has happened is as ive distilled off metal chloride to oxide as the oxide has cooled in my round bottom flask thermal contraction has cracked my glassware. The oxide sticks to the walls and cracks it.

Would using a rotavap prevent any metal oxide sticking to the sidewalls of the glassware and let me complete the oxidation of the metal chloride and recovery of hcl gas in one go?
Same applies using nitrates. ( yes im aware about safety concerning raising the oxidation state of nitrates)

Itd simplify and cut costs of my recovery and refining process dramatically, and hazardous waste minimised all in one go. Its just this cracking of glassware issue and does the rotavap solve it?

Yes. It can prevent overcooking. If you're careful though you can avoid some problems by judicious use of sodium chloride when making PGMAu evaporationa.

I use a 20 L buchi for some PGM operations (mainly Rh).

Back