Any recommendation for gold powder-water seperation???

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellorath

Hi fellas,
I just recovered some gold powder and some suspension of gold powder(seems blackish Brown) and want to get rid of water so I can collect them all in a small flask for further repurification and smelting process. But… What is the best method to get rid of the water and get full gold powder? Decanting it? Yes I can but I dont have tools. Here is my idea;
All gold powder and water is staying in 400 cL beaker, I will put a thin piece of cloth on top and use rubber band to attach it to the beaker. Then leave it to sunlight, so the water can evaporate and there will be no dust etc contamination during this waiting.
Afterwards, I will put the gold powder or less watery gold into my gold jar then if there is any liquid inside, I will use same cloth and rubber method for evaporation.

What do you think? I would appreciate if you can give a practical suggestion.

Regards

Ello

If adding methanol or acetone, you reduce fluid density and increase precipitation to almost 100%. Then decant and repeat. Let dry

How could you not have the tools to decant? All you need is a (preferably) tall glass and time. Gentle heating will then finish evaporating any remaining liquid. :shock:

If it is gold powder, it is 19 times heavier that the same volume of water. It is rather difficult to rinse gold powder completely from a beaker. This is to say that you should have no problem simply decanting the solution slowly from a container and the gold will stay in place. Decant as much solution as you can and then add water to the solution to lower viscosity. Allow the powder to settle and repeat until only the powder and water remains in the beaker. Then you can simply decant the water. This is only if you are truly having such a difficult time. If the powder simply does not want to settle, add a small amount of sulfuric acid and bring it to a boil. This will clean the gold particles and allow them to clump together better.

Back