problems pouring my gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkessans

Everytime I pour my gold bars, the top always turns black, but the bottom and sides of ingot looks good. Any suggestions?

You still have silver or other base metals in the bar and they are oxidizing. You can add a little borax and it will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Sno said.

That given I would take the approach that you need to clean your gold better before melting it.

Keep the torch on the top of the bar during and after your pour - you do not want the flame to be on the blue side more yellow- after the bar solidifies take the torch off and then you might want to pickle the bar in a heated pickle solution which will get the crud off-

grainsofgold said:
Keep the torch on the top of the bar during and after your pour - you do not want the flame to be on the blue side more yellow- after the bar solidifies take the torch off and then you might want to pickle the bar in a heated pickle solution which will get the crud off-

Sorry but this isn't right.

grainsofgold said:
I use a propane and O2 torch - never had an issue=

But always looking to learn more-

In melting silver I know that added o2 is not a great thing-

With a reducing flame you won't get the ugly oxidation scaling if there's silver there...and it doesn't take much silver to make it ugly. 98-99% will be UGLY if you hit it with heavy oxidation.

I just recieved my assay, it was 99.1....without doing an AR treatment. Thanks for your help on the torch, snoman

Back