Filtration vacuum pomp - what should be the maximum pressure of the pump in Mbar ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uciocciu

Hi guys,

I would like to buy a filtration vaccum pomp for my conical flasks ( from 1 to 5 liters).
I have to choose a product, but I don't know what should be the maximum pressure of the pump, in Mbar.

what is the medium pressure used to implement the filtration ?

Thank you in advance,

U ciocciu

It's more about the max pressure that you can use with your filter papers before they blow. You really don't need a huge amount of vacuum to do the job properly.

Personally any decent vacuum pump is good but also buy a pressure regulator to sit inline between the pump and the vessel. Then you can experiment with the best pressure for your needs. Remember that a paper lasts better once it has a layer of sediment on top of it.

Incidentally if I may offer a tip. I use a second flask filled with water and NaOH between the main flask and the pump to neutralise some of the acid fumes. If you do this and change your oil religiously then any inexpensive HVAC pump will last a long time.

Jon

Thank you for the advices, Jon ( and thanks to nickvc too)
So nice of you.

Great day,
Olivier

This is what I made for my little shop. Used a 48oz silo nalgene bottle as a trap in between the pump and filter flask. Nalgene bottle has water and potassium hydroxide to help raise the ph before being pulled through the hvac pump. Cut the tubing to size and use a cheap ball valve to regulate the pressure. all in for about 60-70 bucks. I've learned that I have to be very careful when filtering the thicker solutions from when I do gold filled recovery. If I'm not paying attention sometimes it will reverse and get sucked into the filter flask.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200522-194755_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200522-194755_Video Player.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92
Back