Dropping gold from au solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy55

I used a/p solution to remove the gold from my fingers then dissolved it with muratic acid and bleach.my stannous test turned brownish purple.thats a positive.how do I drop it?? Do I have to make sure the pH is correct ? Can I use stumpout??

Look up SMB / sodium metabisulfite. It can be purchased on eBay for use
in dropping gold. Stump Out has sodium metabisulfite as an active ingredient.

Search the forum and you will find links to Stump Out. I have never used it.
My SMB has come off of eBay and it always has worked for me. 8)

MSDS for Bonide brand Stumpout.

https://www.bonide.com/assets/Products/SDS/sds272.pdf

The only ingredient listed is Sodium Metabisulfite.

When in doubt, cement it out.
It's always an option to cement all metal from solution and start over.

Being a rookie at all of this I’m sure all my procedures are suspect . After dissolving my scrap in HA and H2O2,filtering off, and redissolving the residue in AR, and filtering to a clear green liquid, I added SM to precipitate, got a reaction when adding, but my precipitate is white! What did I do wrong this time? Also, how would Zi get back to square 1? Thanks.

Drlou said:
Being a rookie at all of this I’m sure all my procedures are suspect . After dissolving my scrap in HA and H2O2,filtering off, and redissolving the residue in AR, and filtering to a clear green liquid, I added SM to precipitate, got a reaction when adding, but my precipitate is white! What did I do wrong this time? Also, how would Zi get back to square 1? Thanks.

I'd try to help, but I don't know what HA, SM, or Zi are. When posting, please click the Preview button and read your post through. Correct any mistakes. When it looks right, click the Submit button and we'll try to help.

Dave

Back