Gold recovery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevwald

I have a few copper bars 100cm x 50cm x1cm gold plated please what would be the best way to recover the gold from them. The gold is really thick

If the copper is plated a concentrated sulfuric cell.
Less simple methods or if the article is not plated but an alloy would be to dissolve the copper...

Cu weight 8,96 g/cm3
100* 50* 1 is 5000 cm3
(8,96 * 5000 is 44800 G- 44.8 kg bar.
What have these bars being used for?
If it was mine i will grind of the gold with sandpaper, and recover the dust. It is easy with the shape of a bar, and if you use wet grinding paper you can control the wet dust with no loose of gold. Remember to recover the sandpaper.
Henrik

Hi thank you for having a interest in my question. They weigh around a kilo each and we’re used in a mobile phone communication room and were attached to gold plated mother boards around ten of them. I was lucky to come across a cellular tower that that had been closed down. I also obtained all the other electronics in the room. Everything was Inclosed in six large metal cabinets and everything was attached to gold pins in the back of the cabinets. I peeled of around 10cm by 5cm of the gold plated from one of the boards and weigh it. Over 15grams of gold plate. The other side of the boards have substantial amounts of gold on them as well. This will be my first attempt of gold recovering.
I also have a large amount of e scrap laptops computers,towers, gold plated tapes (faucets) and tv fingers. And many more dit bits and pieces. Collected free from verge collections and a mate that works in a scrap yard. I’m a person that not the smartest on the block and not the dumbest. I always believe that you shouldn’t let anything you do in life beat you. Know matter how hard it is. Appreciate your time thank you
If you have any ideas or advice. It would will be a tremendous amount of help. Cheers

Definitely not the smartest bloke on the street in the first post I have written the wrong measurements. The plated copper bars are 18cm x 11cm x 1/5cm

Thank you henrik very kind of you to still talk to me even after the mistake I made.
Shows empathy my friend. A rare commodity theses days

I was not thinking of the surface of the bars being uniform, if you could sand or file off the surface layer it would make recovery more simple, thanks Henrik good suggestion.

I can do that thank you guys. Can you advise me on the best literature or YouTube tutorials to watch for sulphuric E recovery please thank you

Back