Cleaning Glassware

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyJoystick

HI All,

I have a silly question. Not gold related, but lab equipment related. Made some crystals with my wife's 11 year old son the other day. Measured out some liquids and dripped some of them in with a pipette.

Now I have been trying to clean these things and dry them, but I have no idea how to do this. The cleaning was basically limited to a rinse which is not that easy with a long tube with an ID of about 1.5mm and now after 5 days I can still see moist inside.

So here it is. How do you clean and dry glassware like this?

Joey

I would try and use the same acid, or solution that formed the salts.
Aqua regia works well for some stains...

Bon Amy found in the cleaning Isle works fairly well.

Some times the glass can get etched from strong hydroxides or alkalies...

It really depends on what type of crystals you made. Are they soluble in water or not (what are they soluble in). If there are no crystals left in the glass then as butcher suggested works. You could also try rubbing alcohol, put some in there cover the top with something that won't absorb liquid (is it a test tube then a cap) shake it around. Drain the alcohol rinse with water (distilled is preferred since it won't leave mineral stains behind) then invert the container. You can also dry the container with a heat gun or blow dryer. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Back