What filter micron size?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psyk0siss

Newbie here.
I'm starting out filtering sterling into fine. My first couple small batches are resulting in less than stellar looking silver. I'm questioning my choice of filter as the issue but maybe it's just my expectations.

Here's my setup:
After dissolving in nitric, I filtered the solution through a coffee filter. After getting the "clay"from soaking copper in the filtered solution, I used a 20 micron lab filter on top of a Medium Frit (g2) Buchner funnel and rinsed the clay until clear liquid was draining.

Is this adequate to obtain the silver shine I'm.. seeking (my expectation) or is this the reason I'm not getting that shine...or is that silver shine only attainable from 99.999%?

It is very hard to obtain fine silver from cementation due to some of the solution remaining mixed with the cement, it is much easier to obtain the result you want using the silver chloride conversion methods well documented here in the forum but which is more messy. If you built a small silver cell then the silver you would get from that would or should be very shiny.

Psyk0siss said:
Could some of it also be because I used a graphite mold?

No. As stated, you can not get pure silver from cementation. The reactivity series of metals tells us that what ever you used to cement will cement any other metal that is less reactive.

So far, in this thread, you have refined nothing. You have made a silver-copper solution from sterling, and cemented an impure silver from this. Yours is one of several RECOVERY techniques. It is a good start. Your product should be pure enough to use as feedstock for a silver cell. There are several types mentioned on the forum.

The silver cell is where silver is refined. That is where the fun begins. Enjoy.

Time for more coffee.

Latest posts

Back