Tools Beginner will need -- most basic

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldanalog

Greetings, I'm looking for a list for the tools the most basic PM scrapper will need. It would be fine if people talked about what they needed for their set-up. Not expecting to get too technical with chemicals too soon so I'm thinking more like best way to get chips off boards, etc.

The most basic tool you will need is a clear understanding of what it is you are working with and what it is worth. Along with a clear understanding of processes needed to get from what you have to what you want. I haven't found a "refining for dummies" hand book but C.M. Hoke has the next best thing. It's free to download from many members signature line.

It will take time to accumulate what you need, and lots of trial and error, while studying what other people do. Keep an eye out for certain items like heating pads, glass containers, corning ware pots, torches, waste disposal containers, chemicals, lab tools, filters, coffee pots, funnels, gloves, scrap metals, and more. But at this point your most valuable assets will be information and understanding.

As has been pointed out knowledge of what is worth your time and effort to harvest is the best thing to acquire so for now collect scrap and read read read.

Back