Looking for Better collection techniques for 3000g gold filled

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRealGoldmember

Hello all, this is my first post even tho I've silently enjoyed and appreciated everyone who has asked a question and more importantly the elders who have helped us all get to where we are now...I've been refining now for a few years and have tweaked it to where it works nicely for me. After a single precipitation I've with FeSo4 a fire assay of 987 and if a second with smb been able to achieve .9999... My question is this, I just finished 1000grams of gold pocket watches for a man who owns a shop and just was tasked with a bag just shy of 3000grams of gold filled everything you can imagine from bulovas - pens and everthing in between in various increments of gold content.. I usually nitric treat with N03 and then collect and finished the process like normal but for the finite pieces floating in the base metal nitric solution takes a very long time using every filtration method I can think of using a no 3 filter and medium membrane vaccum filter.. they're might not be an easier or faster method without letting more valuables pass thru by using a larger pore filtering apparatus.....
Thanks for yalls time and for any insight offered .
~ ACE ~

To much junk in there to vacuum filter unless you have a large Buchner Funnel with a large surface area.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmZgunOWiSo[/youtube]

Nice video, The name redneck refining is just the cat's meow, I enjoyed watching it with coffee this morning, I learn something every day, today besides learning some tricks on filtering, I learned how to pet a pussy cat backarrds.

Took my mind off the forest fire roaring through the woods heading towards my home.

Thanks again, I always enjoy your informative videos.

melt with an oxidizer and borax, then remelt metal fraction and shot it out. digest in 30% nitric. once digested, add 2x volume water and allow gold to settle. siphon off liquid. filter it later through a tight filter.

now filter off gold sludge, wash and rerefine if you care to.

the tin, zinc and iron are what make it filter worth a crap. oxidizing them to the slags cleans your metal.

but honestly, simply baking your gold filled ahead of time to get rid of organics, then digesting in nitric, thinning with water, then waiting for settling and decanting works for me 100% of the time.

butcher said:
I learned how to pet a pussy cat backarrds.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We do things a little different here in the Dirty South! North of the Mason Dixon Line you pet the pussy cat one way and South of the line you pet the kitty the other way. Sort of like how water swirls one way North of the Equator and in the other direction South of the Equator!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Stay safe brother! Prayers!

Palladium said:
butcher said:

We do things a little different here in the Dirty South! North of the Mason Dixon Line you pet the pussy cat one way and South of the line you pet the kitty the other way. Sort of like how water swirls one way North of the Equator and in the other direction South of the Equator!

Stay stay brother! Prayers!

:lol: :lol: That was too funny Palladium

jarlowski1 said:
Palladium said:
butcher said:

Stay safe brother! Prayers!

:lol: :lol: That was too funny Palladium

You fellers are out of control lol sry for my tardiness I'm still trying to clean up after hurricane Laura just got power back about a week ago.. but anyway I appreciate the info and I ran out of acetylene and it'd take a year to melt alsls that down with mapp and i have a 500 mL buchner and a 1000mL on the way.. I've only been able to collect at most 4gs tw of filter paper and once it's reached it quantative limit its gets SLOW. LOL I have a lil system going with about 6 different funnels filtering the gold enriched nitric but only can pour into the filter 1 time before it's "full" which is ok it's just a lot of paper when time for the last filtering comes..anywho I appreciate y'all take it easy God bless and enjoy y'all's pussycats

• aqqqq
Yes Ive used paper towels and coffee filters and all that when I was startiaaasz :cry: ng out years ago lol I can't even fathom all the gold lost thru those things.. I tried hitting em with the torch first and even melted some to a button 5gemnitric treated that seems to be the much better than what I was doing, thanks for the suggestion!

snoman701 said:
melt with an oxidizer and borax, then remelt metal fraction and shot it out. digest in 30% nitric. once digested, add 2x volume water and allow gold to settle. siphon off liquid. filter it later through a tight filter.

now filter off gold sludge, wash and rerefine if you care to.

the tin, zinc and iron are what make it filter worth a crap. oxidizing them to the slags cleans your metal.

but honestly, simply baking your gold filled ahead of time to get rid of organics, then digesting in nitric, thinning with water, then waiting for settling and decanting works for me 100% of the time.
You are correct sir that definitely refined the refining process nicely thx for that

Back