Electronic Scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

champ110

Thinking of using nitric acid to dissolve all but the gold. filter the small gold pieces. precip any silver from solution with copper. then once i have a good amount of gold and finger edges saved use AR to refine. any other ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

That's pretty much the procedure I followed when refining what little electronic scrap I accumulated. As a refiner, I was too busy to accept such work, so I'm not well experienced in running it.

If you have a source for nitric and can buy at a reasonable price, (less than $5/gallon) it may be a good way for you to go. You'll go through a lot of acid for not a lot of gold, and you end up with waste materials that you can't sell------so give some serious thought to stripping instead. You can sell the copper based alloys once you're recovered the gold, and you'll have a lot less in the way of solutions to dispose of.

Just something to ponder------your personal circumstances can make a huge difference.

Incidentally, I have serious doubts about recovering silver from plated objects by this method. Unless you strip by some means, without dissolving the base metals, I have a strong hunch you'll be operating in the red, even with silver above $14/oz.

Harold

i can get chemicals for free through one of my dads clients so that suts out alot of the cost.

Back