Drying refined gold mud with solar energy . . .

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmetal

Supporting Member
Greetings, all!

I just wanted to share a quick and easy method I use to dry my gold mud without using any additional energy source other than solar:

I use a folded aluminum foil sheet, a watch glass, a clear glass pie plate, and 25mm square woodblocks.

I transfer the mud to the watch glass and decant any excess water:
Gold Drying1.jpg

The watch glass is placed upon the foil sheet, and the glass plate is suspended above the watch glass by the woodblocks. This prevents any condensation from forming.
Gold Drying3.jpg

It took approx. 30 minutes to dry the 1gm of mud - no twirling of a beaker - no sticking.

Peace and health,
James

I just toss the beaker into my oven and crank up the heat to 125 C. Perfect dry in 15 minutes and I don't have to worry about cats, birds or insects. And it works at nights and rainy days too. Easy to scale up.

Göran

"Perfect dry in 15 minutes and I don't have to worry about cats, birds or insects. And it works at nights and rainy days too. Easy to scale up."

So true.

But, I bet your oven is using more fossil fuel than my energy source. :lol:

Fred och hälsa,
vän Goran :D

Just a comment to the last, there are practically no fossile fuel used in the powermix in Sweden and Norway.
Mostly Hydroelectric and some Nuclear, it is relatively cheap as well.

Additionally, the weather seldom lends itself to outdoor activity like these long term endeavours as sun drying stuff. Cats and birds on the other hand are over all, and get in over all, and not to forget the mosquitos trying to drink our PM chlorides :twisted:

For general evaporation, things look better, if one can keep things under a roof, since the overall air humidity is low.

Just for the sake of information :D

Edited for spelling error

I wish I was in a climate where it was possible to use solar power. It's +2 C and raining. Soon it's just a couple of hours of daylight per day and it will snow on wednesday, although that is late for winter. Just six more months until spring / summer. :mrgreen:

Göran

Back