Rice dispenser for SMB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnwillow

Anyone tried using a rice dispenser for their powedered chemicals? Will it work?
I hate the smell of SMB and I have a 25kg sack inside a sealed 10 gallon container, opening it is one of the least things that I would want to do in the world of refining.

SMB tends to cake, I wouldn't trust...

What I learned some time ago is to buy it in 25 kg sack from a good supplier (good sealed bag) so it comes free-flowing then aliquot it in 1L PEAD widemouth square plastic container.

If your usage is high, put it directly inside a 10 L PEAD sealed bucket with a dedicated plastic scoop.

Edit:
PEAD -> HDPE

Rice dispensers are mostly open and will allow outgassing and moisture to enter.
I guess that will destroy it in a short time.
How about vacuum packing in batches for a week/month?
Standard kitchen vacuum machines would do?
Just my two cents :wink:

Yggdrasil said:
Rice dispensers are mostly open and will allow outgassing and moisture to enter.
I guess that will destroy it in a short time.
How about vacuum packing in batches for a week/month?
Standard kitchen vacuum machines would do?
Just my two cents :wink:

The home vacuum things work well. I have several including a couple I use for food. I have a bag of calcium nitrate that I vacuum packed almost 6 years ago, it is still loose with no caking at all.

Good ideas!

I'll try the vacuum pack. Actually I'll do it on all the chemicals that are in powder form. Then just store them in the same container they came from. That way it'll stay dehydrated and will most less likely to spoil.

Thank you!

goldandsilver123 said:

What I learned some time ago is to buy it in 25 kg sack from a good supplier (good sealed bag) so it comes free-flowing then aliquot it in 1L PEAD widemouth square plastic container.

If your usage is high, put it directly inside a 10 L PEAD sealed bucket with a dedicated plastic scoop.

What's a PEAD? HDPE? PP? I haven't heard of this one.

High Density Polyethylene. The abbreviation depends on the language used where manufactured.

autumnwillow said:
goldandsilver123 said:

What's a PEAD? HDPE? PP? I haven't heard of this one.

It's HDPE in Portuguese, I forgot to translate it

I use chemical bottles for any solid powder that is free-flowing. For example SMB, ferrocyanide, sulfamic acid... 'it keeps it dry, easy to dispense by rotating the flask and resistive to most chemical attacks.

Göran

Back