Galena silver winning

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scolopendra

I've located a possible site to stake a silver claim. Galena is common on the surface but the area is known for native silver. I've been doing some reading on smelting galena. I've looked into the Park's process and nitric acid chemical process. There are inherent risks involved in cooking sulfides, including, poisoning, environmental and legal issues. I've been considering how to mitigate and capture any toxic fumes released in a medium scale operation. I have also considered just concentrating crushed ore and sending it to a third party company to be refined. There is also another option to just ignore the galena ore all together and focus on locating native silver that has washed down from the main ore body. What advice do you have for a new prospector considering an endevor like this? What reading material might help me? I have a background in chemistry and exploration core drilling. This is meant for me to have a profitable side operation when the drilling season slows down for winter layoff.

1st advice, prepare a representative sample(s) and assay the silver per kg ore. 2nd advice assay
for other PM's. When you have that information, we'll continue from there.

Back