Acetylene torch vs wet ashing ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldmember123

Hello does anybody know if i can use my oxygen-acetylene torch to melt the plastic Apoxy off of my ic chips instead of wet ashing if i am in a well ventilated area ?

Yes, if you do it in a combustion chamber with enough after burner retention time for the gases to be burnt properly. But being in a well ventilted area means you allow your fumes to reach the neighbours/wildlife/the wife's vegetable garden?

Acetylene is probably not neccesary to reach pyrolisation and incineration temperatures. Butane or propene flame would be sufficient I think.
What the after burner temperature should be, not sure.

Martijn

Short of a professional grade setup wet ashing should not be a consideration. A decent incineration can be achieved by inverting a larger container over another, smaller one that holds your chips. Better yet, look up the method kurtak used with his furnace. Pretty ingenious, and worked pretty well.

Edited for spelling

Wet ashing is about that MOST FOOLISH method you can use for reducing the epoxy of IC chips to ash

In other words --- only a FOOL !!!! would use wet ashing as a method for processing IC chips

Can you find videos of people doing it ? - yes --- that doesn't mean they are smart when in FACT it is the most STUPID method of reducing epoxy to ash I can think of

Let me put it this way --- just because you watch a video of someone running in front of speeding cars - doesn't mean its a good idea & therefore you should run out in front of speeding cars to

For what it's worth - when I first heard about wet ashing (many years ago) I tried it (once) just to see how well it worked - my conclusion - it IS the MOST FOOLISH method you can use & only a FOOL would use this method

Though you may get away with it in the short term (a few times) sooner or later - using it as a "go to method" WILL at some point in time HURT YOU :!: :!: :!:

Burning (incineration) the IC chips is the only real way to deal with reducing epoxy chips to ash

You can burn them anyway you want - BUT - there are dangers to burning IC chips also so you need to be aware of the dangers of burning IC chips

In other words there are right ways & wrong ways for burning IC chip --- but even burning them by wrong ways is FAR better then wet ashing

Here is just "some" of what I have posted concerning incinerating IC chips

:arrow: Separating all metals from carbon and organics

:arrow: What about beryllium in IC chips

Kurt

Goldmember123

Here is another link to a tread that discusses the processing of IC chips - on pages one & 2 you will see things I posted including pictures

:arrow: Pyrolysis reactor

Keven who started the thread has a bit of a different method but is info is good & another way to go about it

There is a lot of other good info posted by other members

And here is another thread about processing IC chips you should read

:arrow: Gold inside chips (black, flatpacks - not CPU)

Kurt

Latest posts

Back