Will this hot plate be good for any practical?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realtechedo

[attachment=0]TMPDOODLE1518520106632.jpg[/attachment

Attachments

• TMPDOODLE1518520106632.jpg
    TMPDOODLE1518520106632.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 200
Any hot plate that works (gets hot) will work --- because - well - it gets hot

Edit to add; - I buy the cheapest hot plates I can find - usually from secondhand stores - why - because with the corrosive chems used in refining they usually need replacing sooner rather then later anyway

Kurt

Yep, as above, buy the cheapest hotplate you can find, use it until it dies then buy a new one.

I also prefer "enameled" hotplates rather than the stainless ones, they hold up a little bit longer.

kurtak said:
Any hot plate that works (gets hot) will work --- because - well - it gets hot

Edit to add; - I buy the cheapest hot plates I can find - usually from secondhand stores - why - because with the corrosive chems used in refining they usually need replacing sooner rather then later anyway

Kurt

Thanks for your time and advice - Kurtak

kernels said:
Yep, as above, buy the cheapest hotplate you can find, use it until it dies then buy a new one.

I also prefer "enameled" hotplates rather than the stainless ones, they hold up a little bit longer.

Thanks for your time and advice - Kernels

I'm with Kurt. The cheapest hot plate is the best hot plate. I've gone through a lot of $13 Walmart hot plates and a few cheaper ones from resale shops. If you want pinpoint control on any electric hot plate, plug it in to a Variac (variable transformer). Every lab I've ever worked in had a few of them sitting around. I bought a big heavy (a guess of 15-20#), brand new one made in China on Ebay a few years ago, for $99. I got it to use on a one speed (way too hot) electric smoker, to give it a full temperature range. Worked great. I've also used them on lab stirring motors (prop type) and they supposedly work well on the manual (only - not the automatic ones) type of battery chargers.

goldsilverpro said:
I'm with Kurt. The cheapest hot plate is the best hot plate. I've gone through a lot of $13 Walmart hot plates and a few cheaper ones from resale shops. If you want pinpoint control on any electric hot plate, plug it in to a Variac (variable transformer). Every lab I've ever worked in had a few of them sitting around. I bought a big heavy (a guess of 15-20#), brand new one made in China on Ebay a few years ago, for $99. I got it to use on a one speed (way too hot) electric smoker, to give it a full temperature range. Worked great. I've also used them on lab stirring motors (prop type) and they supposedly work well on the manual (only - not the automatic ones) type of battery chargers.

I am very grateful for your time and reply also - Goldsilverpro

Back