Help Item Marked ITALY 750 Tested 18K - Assey Said Not Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhuff8181

I've been selling my karat gold to Hi-Tech Precious Metals & Refinery and been very happy with their results and service. In my last batch I included a necklace marked "ITALY 750". It weighs 19.7 grams. I tested it with a magnet (not attracted) and with acid. It tested as 18K. They called and told me that it did not "Melt" and therefore is not gold. I just got it back and it is burned but still mostly intact. I acid tested it again and it passes as 18K. If its not gold what is it? Any ideas?

Thank, John

John if it was white metal I suspect stainless steel, I have seen it plated too, so it could have been yellow plate over stainless.. Testing for stainless is always worth the effort as there does seem to be quite a lot around marked 750 . There is also a rash of rose or red gold plated material around in the UK so always test carefully.

It is white but I'm not sure about stainless steel. I understood that stainless steel will test positive up to 22k with acid. This one dissolves with 22K acid.

316l stainless steel is being used to make jewels and they have started to plate them with rhodium ,316l fades away after a short time on 22k acid ,running a double check test on the 22k acid test,take a clear white tissue to swipe your rock and take a look at the colour on it,it will be kind of greenish or yelow realy like bright ,uncomon colour lollll basicly white gold is basicly yelow gold ,when you scratch it the mark is white but puttiung your 18k acid on it will turn automaticly yelow gold and even if you have a verry strong 18k piece and you test it 22k and it takes time to fade,your scratch mark even if white will turn first yelow gold and when its starts to fade will turn brown or kind of redish,alot of people are hesitating or are scared when it comes to white gold.... keep in minde white gold is yelow gold and the result on a scratch test are the same or pretty close.. stainless steel scratches white and even on acid test and resisting...stays white, other option and practice it test directly your piece,putting your acid directly on it,stainless steel you will have 000 reaction to it... white gold even if its real gold and no plating a strong acid will leave a burn mark to it

Back