98,65 % gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slochteren

Hi,

I melted al my buttons from last year and poored shots from them, dissolved them in AR en dropped the gold with SMB. Washed the the gold 3 times boiling water, 3 times hot Amoniak (10%), 3 times boiling water, 3 times hot HCL, 3 times boiling water, 3 times cold HCL and 3 times boiling water.
According the XRF there is 98,65% Au and 1,327% Ag.
Gold was from different gold plated pins, gold plated jewelry, Gols filled and carat gold.
Where did i go wrong that there is still that much Silver?

Thanks
xrf.jpg

57gram.jpg

See the thread in techniques called ultra high purity gold.

Dilute your gold chloride solution to let the silver come out of solution.

Hi there.

You haven't mentioned the steps before you were washing the gold and that's possibly where the silver came across in larger quantities.

Some people advise both chilling the AR before filtering and diluting the AR three times with clean water before filtering to assist with allowing the silver chloride to precipitate out.

How exactly did you filter your AR? Correctly filtered to a completely clear solution you should be bringing very little at all across. It really does need to be crystal clear too.

If you handled the above correctly then you shouldn't have any problems clearing up the tiny amount of residual silver chloride with a good wash procedure. Any dusting of white on your gold powder during a water wash means impurity.

Back