The Best of Ebay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldenchild

I figured I would create an entertaining thread where people could leave the most memorable auctions/pictures and other ebay realated stuff(hopefully precious metal related) they have come across. Lets keep this thread alive!

I'll start this off with two auctions

"SCRAP DENTAL PRECIOUS METAL ! 190.5 GRAMS ,CAN CONSIST OF GOLD , PLATINUM PALLADIUM , CHROME, I CAN NOT GUARENTEE THE PERCENTAGE OF ANY , I DON'T KNOW THE VALUE OF THESE ITEMS , SO I WILL LEAVE IT TO MY FELLOW E BUYERS TO DECIDE THE VALUE !!! WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET , AS IS - NO REFUNDS
PLEASE DON'T BUY IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR BUYING. I AM NOT RESPONSABLE FOR ANY PROCESS YOU USE TO RECLAIM SCRAP METAL PLEASE BUY ACCORDINGLY TO THIS TERMS I DO NOT WANT TO ACCEPT ANY COMPLAINTS FROM MY FELLOW E BAYERS.
THANKS FOR LOOKING I WILL SHIP TO U.S ONLY.
FREE SHIPPING !!! NO RESERVE AUCTION GOOD LUCK TO THE WINNER!!!"

^
|
|
Does anyone else see whats wrong here?

"11,000 grams of scrap jewelry for gold recovery. finished pieces included in lot."

^
|
|
Your eyes do not deceive you. this is the entire listing!

These are both the types of auctions that can screw you in the end because you would technically have no case if the lots werent what you were expecting.

Goldenchild,

I also enjoy looking at these things but not when I have to copy and paste the numbers. Links would be much better.

That first one is scary. Probably all chrome stuff.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300422791281&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3F%26rvr_id%3D%26satitle%3D300422791281%26fvi%3D1

The second one is also scary because it is very possible that all of it is plated.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330430151335&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3F%26rvr_id%3D%26satitle%3D330430151335%26fvi%3D1

I have been informed by a forum member who won some of the stuff in the first auction that it is chrome and nickel. This member had it xray spec'd. Funny how in the description chrome is listed as one of the 4 metals that may or may not be in this material even though the seller doesnt know what its made of. I would of never even thought of chrome being a metal that may be possibly in this material. I am going to inform the seller and see if he/she does the right thing.

The seller of the dental sprues has done this before. They have two completed auctions, one for 300g for $750. Chances are very good they know full well it is non-precious, they may even work in the lab that throws this out. :evil:

More and more clues keep leading to a scam. There is another seller selling the same exact stuff. Looks like they are in cahoots or the same person. I sure would like to take these ppl out in back of the wood shed. >:O

it is funny to see so many suckers buying from ebay. and it never ends. anyhow my best on ebay was about selling dead mosquitos for one euro each some years ago. and they had buyers!!

Don't forget that sellers can bid themselves on their own auctions using a friend's account for example...

Here is a weird one;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Help-Me-Identify-My-Metal-Palladium-Silver-Titanium-LB-/310218505105?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_Bullion&hash=item483a76bb91

Jim

stainless steel or inconel since there is a 740 alloy of that. I like the part that the scrap man wants it, I am sure he does but not for 10,000.

Jim

SS740=stainless steel 740. However I doubt that is what it is.
Anything that dam big that weighs less than 5 pounds,has got to be aluminum.

What is your guess as to the dimensions? About the only clue is the size of the scale and I'm guessing that the platform is 6" wide. That would make the diameter about 3.5" (9 cm), the height about 4.3" (10.9 cm), and the volume about 693 cc. The weight is 2020 grams. Therefore, if all these guesses are right, the density would be about 2.9 g/cc. Al is 2.7. Pretty close.

Before the Hall process (or, one of it's precursors) was adapted for the refining of Al, it could have been worth that much.

If the scale platform is only 4.5" wide, that could make the density around 7, which is in the realm of stainless steel.

What is your point?I don't make guesses at the height and diameter.All I know for a fact is that the picture I copied and blew up,makes this rod look considerably too big to be stainless.And for weighing less than 4 1/2 pounds this must be a very light metal.

Attachments

• !BsqkgwQ!2k~$(KGrHqEOKkUEvN3,ifYYBL4yfQ21sg~~_3.jpg
    !BsqkgwQ!2k~$(KGrHqEOKkUEvN3,ifYYBL4yfQ21sg~~_3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 8,371
LOL you gotta love selling stuff you have no clue of the composition and giving it an arbitrary number of 10 large as the price tag! I agree... for it being that light im thinking aluminum. I asked him if he would send me a peice and I could determine what it is. Lets see if he sends me a chunk. :p

What is your point?I don't make guesses at the height and diameter.All I know for a fact is that the picture I copied and blew up,makes this rod look considerably too big to be stainless.And for weighing less than 4 1/2 pounds this must be a very light metal.

What makes you think I was talking to you? There is no "point". Don't be so damned serious. I just like estimating things and playing with the math. My doing this doesn't detract from what you said in any way.

Looks can be deceiving, though. If someone had a scale exactly like that, they could measure the width of the platform and we could pin down the density within 10%, probably. Without analyzing the material, the most important thing is the density. I love puzzles.

Anything that dam big that weighs less than 5 pounds,has got to be aluminum.
What is your guess as to the dimensions? About the only clue is the size of the scale and I'm guessing that the platform is 6" wide.
What makes you think I was talking to you?
Sorry about that,could have sworn that was directed straight at me.

EDITED

Back