Refining various processors for profit

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn618

Hey Guys!

So iv been refining for about a year now but to be honest I haven't really been making a profit atall,

I started with refining with pentium processors and out of 30 intel pentium mmx processors the black top ceramic ones got 3.24 grams of gold at about 23karat (93% pure) it cost me about 200 for 2kg them so no profit there but I learned alot out of that experience so I didn't mind the loss and iv really learn to love refining and reading hokes book it feels like everything makes so much sense I just love the learning

But

It also has to be at least profitable right? That way i can continue to stay interested and continue to learn more
Now I think that I am over paying for these CPUs and I'm sure I can fine a source that will supply with a good price.
Also I'm in India so there are a good amount of scrap computers since the whole world out sources to India and it has technology hubs like mumbai, hydrabad, chennai and more.

A few weeks shot I had bought 10 intel pentiums for 7500rs which is about 125 dollars,
And I refined that and got about 2.3 grams out

And sold that or about 7k
Now within chemical cost which is just a couple bucks and isn't a big deal , but for conversations sake 10 bucks which is 630 rupees
So I spent 7630 and made 7000... Is it my process? I can explain that in detail too if you ask..

I use a simple poor mans ar process recovered with SMB and ALWAYS. Tested with Stanous chloride..

Now I went out yesterday and tried to find a new dealer.. Wasn't able to fine any but I got my hands on a few processors that I plan to do each individually but what I got was

2 intel pentium pros at 800rs a pop.. So 1600 that's about 23bucks

1 intel pentium mmx 150rs about 2.50

3 amd green fiber ones for 50rs each so 150 another 3 bucks.

And one iProcessor for 200rs 4$

Ill be workin on that soon .. Total cost 2100 which would be 33bucks

What do you think? Could I be looking at profit? Am I getting my processors at the right price?

Thanks for reading

Shawn :)

Check out Boardsort.com and see what they're paying for CPU's. They pay a small amount less than I've been able to recover from the same processors.

If you pay what they pay you should be able to at least break even on your investment when you add the cost of your chemicals.

This does not compensate you for your time. I do this for a hobby and am not concerned with that part of the equation. If you want to do it to make money you'll need to try to get as much material as possible for free.

Advertise "Free Computer Recycling" and you might get some free goodies.

Your paying too much for your source material.

Now that you know what the yield will be, pay at a max 80% of the value of any PM you will recover from the source. Even then you will have to be careful in your processes to make a small profit.

Try to get source material for much less or free, get whole computers to disassemble and stop buying just the CPU's. You will never turn a profit buy buying small quantities of CPU's that way.

Hey guys!

Thanks gr the response, what your saying makes complete sense,

Putting a free computer recycling ad is a great idea I think ill do that.
And continue to look for legitimate source.

Thanks for your input
Shawn

Back