Pure scrap yield for Dell Poweredge 2650

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcnew32(Ag)

These prices are based on cashforscrapcomputers.com prices.
This a very basic breakdown of this unit. No trimming, cutting or sorting.
Poweredge 2650
3 HDD= 5.35lb/ $3.74
3 gold ram= 2.25oz/ $1.87
Small duel socket MB= 3lb/ $7.65
Peripheral grade boards= 1lb 5.75oz/ $1.75
Green fiber with heatsinks= 1.5oz/ $1.35
Fingered cards= 2.5oz/ $.58
Cd drive= 11.85oz/ $.11
Fans which i get motor price for= 1lb 6.7oz/ $.50
Clean AL heatsinks= 2lb 7.4oz/ $.98
FE steel= 24.2/ $1.45
Total profit of ($19.98) thats i you got it for free. Took roughly 10 minutes
There was room for 2 long skinny PSUs but they were not present so weight and scrap price calculation is not present. But at .27 per/lb i do know they weigh over a pound a piece.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 553
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 553
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 553
Yes, i bought 65 verious server trays, power supplies and switch boxes for 250$. So i was going to make a few posts with picture of the yields of some of the units i recieved. I am actually over whelmed right now with stuff 300 desktops, around 100 servers and various switches. I need help bad.

Mcnew32(Ag) said:
Yes, i bought 65 verious server trays, power supplies and switch boxes for 250$. So i was going to make a few posts with picture of the yields of some of the units i recieved. I am actually over whelmed right now with stuff 300 desktops, around 100 servers and various switches. I need help bad.

Just have patience and keep tearing stuff down, you will get it done. Keep the money in your pocket.

A tip. If you cut off the gold fingers from the power supplies it won't affect the sale price per pound because it's the copper content that people buy them for.

After a while you will end up with a nice stash of them at zero cost. 8) 8)

spaceships said:
A tip. If you cut off the gold fingers from the power supplies it won't affect the sale price per pound because it's the copper content that people buy them for.

Hello,
Im at a loss about any gold fingers in a PS unless its in servers only as ive disassembled several desktop PSs & all that is inside ea. one is a transformer, several Alu cooling towers, & multiple copper coils along with misc electronics.
I see tin solder & a lot of wires but no Gold at all. Can you explain & maybe show a pic of the specific model you speak of?

Dave

Mcnew32(Ag) said:
Yep i am slowly but surely knocking it out. Just need more time in the day ha.

Hello, Have you finally tore down everything yet? Price per server etc. in parts ?

Dave

I have used an old power edge server for music production for years.
I had to make an umbilical and run the thing in the room under the studio as it sound's like a jet,but it is built like a council block house .
You would be amazed at how powerful Ableton becomes when it has 64g of ram to play with.
There is only one duel output monitor card that would fit in it though.
Alternate uses can be worth more than scrap.

heliman4141 said:
spaceships said:

Hello,
Im at a loss about any gold fingers in a PS unless its in servers only as ive disassembled several desktop PSs & all that is inside ea. one is a transformer, several Alu cooling towers, & multiple copper coils along with misc electronics.
I see tin solder & a lot of wires but no Gold at all. Can you explain & maybe show a pic of the specific model you speak of?

Dave
Some power supplies that can be hot swapped have gold fingers at the end to connect to the computer. Others have a contact block. Hot swap supplies are usually only found in servers.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
heliman4141 said:
spaceships said:

Hello,

Dave
Some power supplies that can be hot swapped have gold fingers at the end to connect to the computer. Others have a contact block. Hot swap supplies are usually only found in servers.

Göran

I also get some from telecom units too and oddly enough some small CNC engravers.

Eric

The fingers from server power supplies will look like this one. It came from an HP G5 server.
I normally power on all the servers that come in and check the market value for the whole
server and sometimes for it's individual parts. Easy to do on eBay.

If the power supplies from the server sell for $20+, I will list them on ebay. If not, I don't
want to chase around after the $5 I might net after packing materials and my time to do
the ebay listing, pay the paypal / ebay fees and ship the product via UPS or USPS.

If the power supply doesn't make the cutoff for me wanting to hassle with it, I snap off the
gold fingers and toss the rest into the Gaylord with the other power supplies w/o wires.

For example, I just had an HP Z420 workstation that just came in from a hospital. It came in
missing memory and a video card. I may or may not want to make it complete but I do know
that a working power supply from it can sell for $150 up on ebay. That one's a keeper!! 8)

Attachments

• HP PS.jpg
    HP PS.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 327
Interesting info & pics.
Ive never seen a PS that had fingers on it before now. Testing the parts before teardown is a good idea, I didn't consider re-selling functioning components before but if research shows a profit to be made on certain older parts above scrap then that is a grand idea.
You fellas have this all down to a fine science for sure.

Dave

On eBay you can do an Advanced Search, check the box for "Sold Listings" and you'll see what that item has sold for in the last 30 days.

I use the same criteria as Jim. If you can't sell it for enough to make it worth the time and work involved, scrap it!

Those power supplies with the fingers are called "hot swap" supplies. Usually in servers that have 2 so you can "swap" one out if it fails without taking the server down to do it.

I've had to do it many times.

Just an update to this thread I posted. Since that post I have become over whelmed with material and ended up hiring someone to break down the desktops servers etc.. I have not logged or calculated the actual scrap price per component for any other the other machines as of right now but winter is on its way this will be prime garage time once again. I have been collecting various ceramic CPUs from Pentium pros to amd ceramics with heat sinks. Also have been stock piling ram to process as well. I will start weighing and calculating components once again for you guys.

Latest posts

Back