Smelting high sulfides Gold concentrates

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimijoe

New to the forum, thank you for you help. I have high sulfide ore from Colorado, I roasted my cons for 3hrs, I ran a magnet thru the cons, I mixed 40g of my ore with 120g of standard flux from Action Mining. Heated my oven to 1900 degrees, let it there for 30 minutes. Than poured it into a cone mold, out pops the lead button, I broke off the glass and put the lead in the Kepel at 1750 degrees for 45 minutes. Here's where I got lost, so I take it out of the oven and there is a button in the Kepel the size of a nickel. Since it was so big I thought that it needed more time in the oven so I put it back in the oven for 15 minutes. I open the door to see the button, it looks a little smaller, so I tooked it out of the oven, when I went to pick up the Kepel it comes a part. So I pick up all the pieces and put it back in a new kepel and put it back in the oven, waited a half hour, took it out and no button, just scrap from the broken kepel. So I'm confused about where my Gold is at. I'm using the same cons that I sent to 2 of the biggest Assay companies in the usa. Both Assays came back at 6.oz per ton. So there should be a gold button in that kepel. Can someone give me some direction. What am I missing. Thank you, jim

Well, if my math is right, just over 8 milligrams.
I read that with some high sulfide ore assays the flour is omitted, and from one to four nails added.
The nails serve to reduce the litharge to lead, as well as reduce the sulfides.

Oh, and the spelling is cupel.

Well I'm trying again tonight, I'm measured out 29.6 gm of roasted demagnetized cons and mixed in 90g of standard ore flux. Set my oven at 2000 degrees and let it in the oven for an hour. Than I removed it and poured it in a cone mold, let It cool and hammered off the glass. The slag looked nice and shiny. I than took the lead and put it in a cupel at 1750 degrees for about 1 hour, then I took it out to see what's in the cupel, I got a very small pin head bead, it's so small I dont think I can even weigh it. No gold,

You do realize your talking about like 6 milligrams? That is hard to measure without very precise equipment. It would take about 167 of these test to equal 1 gram.

Generally a sample size of 29.166 grams is used. This is referred to as an "assay ton". What this is, is a mathematical relationship between the avoirdupois pound and the troy ounce such that for every milligram you recover in the cupel equates to one ounce per ton in the ore.

But even at 40 grams, you are looking for about 8 milligrams or 0.008 grams. That is tiny.

You have to use a cupel large enough to adsorb the lead from the 120 grams of flux you used. Likely the cupel was too small and that is why you had a nickel sized chunk after 45 minutes. Cupels are rated by how much lead they can absorb. How much litharge was in the 120 grams of flux? That is how you know what size cupel to use. Put the chunk in a new cupel and continue on at temperature.

By the way, 6 oz per ton is very rich ore as ores go. Some of the best mines in the world operate under 1 oz per ton. You are talking about a concentrate I assume. How did you concentrate the ore?

JimiJoe said:
I got a very small pin head bead, it's so small I don't think I can even weigh it.

Action mining has a chart on page 16 of their catalog that is used to determine an approximate weight of a gold bead by its diameter. I much prefer a balance but this is a rough indicator. At 6 mg (where you should be with the size sample you used) you are looking for a bead 0.035 inches in diameter. That is one small bead. So even having a bead is a positive thing. As a point of reference the head of a pin is said to be 1.5mm or 0.059 inches. So smaller than the head of a pin can still be some decent cons.

I would take that bead, wrap it in lead foil, and cupel it one more time to make sure it is just precious metals and no clingon junk. It may get smaller but it will be purer.

Ok, with being said. Since I had my cons Assaed already, many times! I'm trying to figure out how to smelt my cons in bulk so I can make my own bars. I can't keep making pin head size beads. I have all the crushing equipment, thru the centrifuge, on to my shaker table, next into the oven. I have invested big time in this, my Assays are rich, but at the end of the day, all I get is pin heads of metal. What am I miss here.

I could be wrong, but if I understand what you've written, you've sent your cons to be assayed, and the assay is 6 oz per ton. If there are 6 oz per ton of cons, all you're going to get from processing small amounts is tiny buttons.

Now if you had the original feed ore assayed at 6 oz/ton, and then you processed that feed stock to get the cons you're trying to process, you might expect more, but that's not how it sounds.

So to get 6 oz, you need to process a ton of cons.

Dave

Hi,

Search the youtube for mbmmllc and there is a great video about smelting sulfides by Jason Gaber. Here I had a chance to find them. These guys are so great at what their do, from their shaker table design and hammer mill to process e-waste, to complete smelting and refining anode slimes.

Here is his video about smelting black sand sulfide. I am sure it can be somehow modified to be used in smelting ICs, or SMDs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko608Ti7lcs

Here is the video where he uses electrolysis to get the copper out of anode, and leave the anode slimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnJeK9CwkiU&feature=em-subs_digest-g

Regards
Kj

I think the guy who made the video's cons were much much more concentrated than yours. He said he collected 8 grams of gold in the copper as per the XRF result. So how much is a cup (the amount he processed with 2 cups of flux and 2 pounds of copper?) Let's guess there are 4 cups in a pound, correct me if I am wrong, my kitchen skills are nonexistent. So 4 cups is one pound times 8 grams Gold per cup so 32 grams per pound of concentrate. Rounding the 32 down to 1 troy ounce you have a concentrate used in the video of 2000 oz per ton.

That is a world of difference from 6 oz per ton!

What you have is a leaching proposition not a smelting proposition.

On another note, the kiln he used is very nice and if you go to http://www.govdeals.com and look in the arts and crafts section, there are usually kilns there and very inexpensive.

Hi,

Can he just use a blue bowl or any gravity separation equipments to concentrate the materials more then follow Jason Gaber methods?

Regards
Kj

Well to follow the smelt procedure, which is a viable option if you can get the concentration up to that level of Jason's cons, that will still involve electrolytic copper recovery. And slimes refining. But we all live for that type of thing anyway!

It would be interesting what method Jimijoe used to get to 6 oz per ton. Depending on what the feed material is and the gold size, sometimes gravity separation passes as much gold off of the table as it concentrates.

I would like to hear how Deano would approach this. From his posts, he has likely seen something of this nature before. Some more analytics from the OP would be helpful.

There is a good reason why the mining industry virtually abandoned gravity separation overnight when flotation became established at the start of last century.

Unless you really know what you are doing on a table you will have heavy losses of concentrates.

Tables concentrate by specific gravity difference between particles of the same size, this is why you will read advice to put a lot of effort into sizing the feed and running only a tightly sized feed.

The biggest problem with sulfides is that they tend to slime when milled.

All sulfide ores will respond differently to milling, some will have the sulfides liberated at a coarse grind size, others will need fine milling to achieve liberation.

Most small scale miners have neither the equipment nor the expertise to get good gravity separation on a sulfide ore.

Those that can get good separation either have an ore which has sulfide liberation at a coarse milling size or they accept that they have to mill fine and put the milled product over the table at a very slow feed rate.

If you are serious about concentrating the ore then the above are your gravity options.

It is possible for a small scale operation to run a flotation cell on the milled material and get a higher grade con with less losses.

Second hand small cells are available and if you have a competent operator set it up and show you how to trouble shoot you should be able to run the cell yourself, it is not rocket science.

Getting to the assay problem, the calculations presented by members are correct, you are looking at a very small bead for 6 oz cons.

Doing your own fire assays is problematical until you have a fair amount of experience.

Some of the problems in fire assay are that the assay fluxes usually contain gold and silver in the lead component of the flux. It is necessary to carry out a blank firing with no ore present to establish how much gold and silver is present in a weighed sample of the flux.

This quantity is then taken off the gold and silver bead from an assay with ore present using the same flux weight.

There will be also some silver present in the bead from the ore, this requires the beads from both the blank and the assay runs to be parted by flattening the beads with a heavy roller, digesting out the silver with nitric acid and weighing the gold residues.

You can see why most assays have an instrumental finish where the entire bead is digested in aqua regia and the amount of precious metals is calculated from the AAS or ICP values.

Most people who sell fire assay equipment tend to gloss over the possible problems or they have done their own fire assays for so long that they really believe that the process is simple, forgetting the amount of learning they had to do.

In your case you have roasted the sulfides so the ore is effectively an oxide ore. You should not be using a sulfide flux on this roasted material.

Never do a magnetic separation on the cons whether roasted or not.

You are almost guaranteeing loss of gold in the magnetics, depending on the conditions of the roast you will generally turn the sulfides into an iron form which will respond to a magnet.

When you are cupelling the lead button you can tell the end point of the cupellation by the button giving a flash of light, this is called the blink.

Before the blink you have a bead which appears to be moving on the surface, after the blink the surface is still.

The more flux you use the more lead you have to adsorb in the cupel, use only the amount recommended for the cupel size you are using.

The main question I have is why you are wanting to do assays on the cons.

If it is for grade and recovery control then you will need an analytical balance which is fairly pricey.

Along with this you will need a lot of experience in doing fire assays.

If all that you want to do is reassure yourself that there is similar levels of gold present then a cheapish microscope will allow you to compare bead sizes without going through the full bead parting and weighing process.

It all comes back to what the mining industry does.

Pretty much all on site assays are done by aqua regia digest and AAS finish.

The results from this procedure are repeatable and the system is generally set up so that unskilled people can do it all after instruction.

You can get a good second hand AAS for the same price as an analytical balance.

Large smelters will usually accept 6oz cons because they can blend them with other higher sulfide feeds and maintain a reasonably consistent feed. You get paid on the fire assay done by the smelter, usually a sample is retained fur umpire analysis in case of arguments.

If you are wanting to do your own large scale smelting of your cons the simple advice is to forget it.

Your biggest problems are the cost of setting up a smelter and the containment of emissions.

Learning how to run it is hard enough but is easy compared with the other problems.

Deano

Bump!!!!

I really enjoy threads like this and do my best to encourage them, they provide a very sound foundation to the learning process. I hope this thread continues.

Some very good technical information has been made available here. A perfect opportunity for JimiJoe to actually determine the value of his ore, but that requires his participation with more input about the material. I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those threads that dies because the OP doesn't follow through!

Thanks Deano, great stuff.
One can explain something so easily only because they know it so well.

Back