Rock identifying

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan102

Hi guys I’m new here, please delete of topic in the wrong place.

Please help to identify the following rocks collected in South Africa

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 191
  • AB7B659D-1657-4820-A02D-3326A24C418E.jpeg
    AB7B659D-1657-4820-A02D-3326A24C418E.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 191
Give density, it may help
to do it yourself:
Take a cup, bigger than the stone
Feel with water to the end, weigh
Insert gently the stone into the water, weigh
Repeat several times to get an average result
Use the result to calculate stone density

Hi Plat,

I just happened to see similar color rock from Africa that were kimberlite and I believe the diamond in them usually looks rough and milky color.
Plus the fact the rock is from South Africa it rises my suspicion.
Also I am glad to be back to this one if a kind forum.

Hard to say what it is, but it doesn't look like kimberlite to me. More like a mica schist.

But then I have no experience with rocks from South Africa. You should try to find a local mineralogical society or rock club, they could probably help you with identifying the rock. It is so much easier to do it if you can hold the rock in your hands and do all kinds of testing.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Hard to say what it is, but it doesn't look like kimberlite to me. More like a mica schist.

But then I have no experience with rocks from South Africa. You should try to find a local mineralogical society or rock club, they could probably help you with identifying the rock. It is so much easier to do it if you can hold the rock in your hands and do all kinds of testing.

Göran

I'd have to agree with Göran on the kimberlite suggestion... With one reservation however... Not only diamond bearing , but platinum group metals as well.
Several kimberlite, as well as several high grade platinum reef ore species are notably green rocks...

Id say the best answer to your question will come from a well researched internet search for true meaning and purpose ... Of the mystery green rock

Back