Platinum ore processing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LT Smash

Hello,

I’m new here and know nothing of refining. However, my dad and I have found a location where three different assay reports showed just under 2 ounces/ton of platinum group metals. I’m not entirely sure of the best way to extract the ore and where to send it for refining. I’m assuming it will be too technical for me to do on my own with zero experience.

Any tips on what to do next would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would first verify the assay reports, before spending a few hundred dollars to file a claim.
If someone was selling this claim I would be extremely cautious.
If it sounds too good to be...

Not sure there are many ore processors in the US, I think there are three and that may only be gold. For pgms, there may be fewer. It really becomes a real big cost consideration when looking at transportation of the ore to a place it can be processed. I know for gold, it really isn't worth it to process ore even at 8 grams/ton (location not adjacent to railroad). Also, quantity of ore weighs in on the equation. It is getting harder and harder to setup any legitimate mining operation, let alone an ore processing facility. However, if someone knows differently, I am all ears.

geedigity said:
Not sure there are many ore processors in the US, I think there are three and that may only be gold. For pgms, there may be fewer. It really becomes a real big cost consideration when looking at transportation of the ore to a place it can be processed. I know for gold, it really isn't worth it to process ore even at 8 oz/ton (location not adjacent to railroad). Also, quantity of ore weighs in on the equation. It is getting harder and harder to setup any legitimate mining operation, let alone an ore processing facility. However, if someone knows differently, I am all ears.

I’m sorry but 8 oz/ton of gold isn’t profitable?? I would transport that material by pick-up truck if I had to. Do you mean .8 oz/ton?

Better to verify that assay result. Get some of ore in that particular site then send it to the Lab for analysis of mineral composition. After that you can start planning what the next step. I knew a certain company process PGMs ore. But its was not in USA.

Back