Advice on how to sell ore with numerous precious minerals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Golden Savage

Hello, I am very new to this "prospecting" thing and fortunately, I have found rocks which I can clearly see gold and silver with large amount of sulfur as well. So my question is, now that i have the rock/ore, what are the steps i need to take to actually sell the darn things. I have roughly about 50 lbs of this kind of rocks and live in the spokane area. I do not feel comfortable shipping my rocks anywhere and I am only willing to drive within a 100 miles radius of spokane. Thank you for your time and I look forward to the responses.

First I would determine if I was not confusing pyrite (fools gold with gold) a very common mistake for someone new to prospecting.

Get an assay, the sample should represent the whole of the ore to be mined, not just the good looking portion of a vein...

Mill the ore and pan the free gold.

If you truly found a source of valuable minerals and can prove it with a representative assay of the ore, you will need to make a claim of the site (after determining the site can be claimed, and your not prospecting an already claimed site, then after getting the rite to mine there, you may make more from selling your claim than you can from mining it.

Shipping cost of ore that is not concentrated may cost more than the values in the ore.

The Golden Savage said:
Hello, I am very new to this "prospecting" thing and fortunately, I have found rocks which I can clearly see gold and silver with large amount of sulfur as well. So my question is, now that i have the rock/ore, what are the steps i need to take to actually sell the darn things. I have roughly about 50 lbs of this kind of rocks and live in the spokane area. I do not feel comfortable shipping my rocks anywhere and I am only willing to drive within a 100 miles radius of spokane. Thank you for your time and I look forward to the responses.
Follow Butchers advice get it assayed . i dont know how much prospecting you have done. So Im not trying to be disrespectfull. but i have had a lot of rocks brought to me with gold and silver and they were mad and thought i was trying to steal there fortune. when i had to tell them it was pyrite and spectaculer hemitite. I have been prospecting for 35yrs its not as common as I would like. but my hope is yours is what you think it is.
Bill

Back