Scrap Magnesium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdoc

I have a large trash can full of magnesium from scrapping laptops. I used to just throw it in with my aluminum before I started saving it separately. It really doesn't add much weight to the aluminum any way. I asked the guy at the scrapyard I deal with what they pay for magnesium, and he said they don't buy it. What do you guys do with your magnesium?

It probably goes in with my Aluminium Jim. I don't separate it and it goes off together by the builder's bagful. Nobody has ever queried it.

Jon

That is probably what I will do, put a little in each aluminum batch like I used to do.
I have seen the guy pick out a piece and look at it, and throw it back in. I have a few hundred lbs of aluminum, so I should be able to mix in a good bit.

I was hoping that someone had an idea of something interesting to do with it.

Looking at the price sheet of a buyer, he pays $0.01 for magnesium scrap, on the same sheet pays $0.01 for aluminum foil and wire, other prices for various aluminum scrap types range from $0.10 to $0.45.

Best prices come from separating the aluminum scrap types.
magnesium darkens and can usually be spotted in a pile of aluminum, with the flammability of magnesium, I cannot see a buyer wanting it mixed with his aluminum, or that he would pay top prices.

About 9 - 10 years ago I scraped the frame work for a couple old military tents that were magnesium (the tents had been poorly stored & were no longer any good)

If I remember right it was like 500 - 600 pounds of clean magnesium after removing all the iron - the only reason the scrap yard was "willing" to even take it was because of the volume I had (they had to take a couple days to call around to see if they could even get rid of it) & if I remember right it was only worth about 1/4 - 1/3 the price of aluminum

On the other hand - about 40 years ago I was working in a Volkswagen engine rebuilding shop & my job was machining the engine cases (which are magnesium) so I produced a lot of fine magnesium shavings

Magnesium burns with a "bright" blue to white hot flame so (being the pyro I am) I would lay the shavings out on the ground in shapes (like stars & snow flakes) & light them off --- or you can make some pretty cool fire works with the shaving :shock: 8) :twisted: :mrgreen:

Kurt

butcher said:
Small pieces make good fire starters handy in any weather.

And big pieces make for exciting campfire additions if you can get it hot enough to ignite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And should reduce Geo's aluminum he has in solution back to metal.
Leaving him with magnesium chloride in solution, which is supposed to be good for you,
although I sure would not drink it :eek:
Plus lots of hydrogen for the furnace.

Back