Microsemi gold IC chips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjewell

I have a bunch of microsemi integrated circuit chips. They are considered ASIC chips. Can anyone tell me if they contain gold or not. I can't seem to find out for sure I've cut one open and couldn't see any gold but it's such a tiny chip.. only 10 legs.

I tried to contact microsemi the chips manufacturer directly but they don't seem to want to help unless I'm buying stuff from them.

Edit: I cracked one open.. there's something there.. silver maybe? Not sure what it is but it's a silver/Platinum colour. And it sparkles! Pics added. What is this?!

Attachments

• IMG_20170304_225136.jpg
    IMG_20170304_225136.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 632
  • IMG_20170304_224941.jpg
    IMG_20170304_224941.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 632
What you see is broken Si wafer. To see if there are gold bonding wires you need a good magnifying glass or incinerate couple, wash and pan.

Yellow is gold. If the pad underneath the chip is gold plated (yellow), it is probable that a gold braze was used to attach the chip.

Now that looks like gold

Attachments

• IMG_20170328_193733.jpg
    IMG_20170328_193733.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 479
  • IMG_20170328_193729.jpg
    IMG_20170328_193729.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 479
It may be gold plated. You are focusing on wrong things here. What you need to do is to incinerate couple of them till all black stuff is white and powdery and then use gold pan preferably black and try to find out if they do have gold bonding wires. Panning and/or good magnifying glass will help you determine if there is value inside or not.

What Pat is trying to tell you is that any gold plating on the legs may not even be economical to recover--the real money is in the solid gold bonding wires.

upcyclist said:
What Pat is trying to tell you is that any gold plating on the legs may not even be economical to recover--the real money is in the solid gold bonding wires.

Any chance you have a link or know of one that shows chips vs gold contents?

Silencetriedgood said:
upcyclist said:

That is a very loose question, but this thread is about the best http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22951

kernels said:
Silencetriedgood said:
upcyclist said:

That is a very loose question, but this thread is about the best http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22951

Loose it was, but you definitely have me my answer. Tyvm. I'm just getting into processing. Trying to learn from others trial and error as much as I can honestly. Was just trying to see different gold contents to various types of chips.

Back