Mask when cutting fingers?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virothisk

So I am getting started and I am taking safety very seriously. I have a pair of good tin snips with which I was going to remove some gold fingers from RAM SIMMs. Should I wear a mask? I noticed after cutting a little that some dust got kicked up. I didn't know if it was dangerous or not, so I thought I'd ask the experienced folks.

V

I personally haven't used a mask when cutting fingers manually with a tin snip
or when breaking them off. It never hurts to err on the side of caution though
it you like.

If you were using power tools to cut them off then I would use a mask as much
more dust is produced. I don't snap them off fast enough to make a cloud. 8)

Virothisk said:
So I am getting started and I am taking safety very seriously. I have a pair of good tin snips with which I was going to remove some gold fingers from RAM SIMMs. Should I wear a mask? I noticed after cutting a little that some dust got kicked up.
I would wear a mask. If you can see dust after you've been working, you have to assume you breathed in some of that same dust. :cry:

glorycloud said:
I don't snap them off fast enough to make a cloud. 8)
Is that a glorycloud? :)

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Virothisk said:
So I am getting started and I am taking safety very seriously. I have a pair of good tin snips with which I was going to remove some gold fingers from RAM SIMMs. Should I wear a mask? I noticed after cutting a little that some dust got kicked up.
I would wear a mask. If you can see dust after you've been working, you have to assume you breathed in some of that same dust. :cry:

glorycloud said:
I don't snap them off fast enough to make a cloud. 8)
Is that a glorycloud? :)

Dave

Not even close Dave but the wonder of the Cloud of His Glory fills me with a reverent awe!! 8)

Virothisk said:
So I am getting started and I am taking safety very seriously. I have a pair of good tin snips with which I was going to remove some gold fingers from RAM SIMMs. Should I wear a mask? I noticed after cutting a little that some dust got kicked up. I didn't know if it was dangerous or not, so I thought I'd ask the experienced folks.

V

Always wear a mask if you are not sure. I always wear a mask when I am cutting fingers, old clothes, and I do this always outside. The dust that is created will collect on a big piece of card bord that you can fold up and throw away.

Back