Fibre CPUs and Phenol

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aga

Supporting Member
Today i've played with some fibre CPUs and a blowtorch.

The tiny gold-plated pins pop off all over the place, most of the weight is in the metal lid (if present) and the fibre catches fire. Fibre CPUs are a PITA.

Several hours after doing the 'playing', there is still a definite phenol smell in the air.

I'm Outside, and there's a light breeze, yet there is still occasionally that distinctive phenol smell about 4 hours later.

It could be that the phenol content is worth more than the gold content of fibre processors.

In the 60's, early 70's, most boards were phenolic There was great interest at the time to collect the phenol oil from the boards. I'm thinking the boards ran about 30% phenol oil and the phenol oil was worth $35/gallon at that time. I don't know if anyone ever set it up but there was certainly a lot if talk about it among the scrappers and refiners. A dollar in 1970 is $6.26 today.

Maybe this is a good time to expand the term 'PM' from "Precious Metal" to "Precious Material"

There are certainly many materials that are much more precious than Gold.

goldsilverpro said:
In the 60's, early 70's, most boards were phenolic There was great interest at the time to collect the phenol oil from the boards. I'm thinking the boards ran about 30% phenol oil and the phenol oil was worth $35.gallon at that time. I don't know if anyone ever set it up but there was certainly a lot if talk about it among the scrappers and refiners. A dollar in 1970 is $6.26 today.

As in that was the market value, or the value on a small scale for refined phenol?

Phenol as a chemical is cheap. Market price is at ~1000 usd/mt.

Doesn't appear there's any such thing as phenol oil. I was trying to relate stuff that happened 45 years ago and I haven't thought of since. I guess I did a poor job of it. I hated the small taste of organic chemistry I got in college chemistry and took no more of it.

Back