Fumes . . .

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmetal

Supporting Member
From page 41 of C. M. Hoke's Refining Precious Metals Waste. Yes, I am reading it. :D

“Here is a way to keep fumes from getting into the room. Set the casserole or other vessel into a big flat pan or tray containing a half-inch of water. Now invert over the dish a bucket, or a crock, letting it rest in the water. A glass cake-cover is excellent for this job. This holds the fumes in, and they are absorbed by the water.”

Anyone ever try this? :?:

James

cosmetal said:
Anyone ever try this?

Nope. Never seemed like a really good idea to me.

I mean, sure, it might catch a lot of the fumes, but what catches the fumes from the open tray of dilute acid? Then what if you needed to heat the reaction? The HCl at least would be evolved from the water. I would think any way.

But then, I just work here. :D

The use of secondary container, sometimes with water, and with a cover is frequently very useful

Some fumes are water soluble, some are not, NO2 is water soluble, NO is not both dangerous to us, Nitric oxide exposed to oxygen in the room will become nitrogen dioxide.

The water in the dish would become dilute nitric acid, the nitric oxide gas would fill the space in the glass, when the jar was lifted would form nitrogen dioxide in the fresh air.

This is a way to collect some of the fumes or dangerous gases, but not all are water soluble, this will not substitute for a fume hood or working out doors, and if used should be done outdoors or in the fume hood...

Very similar to heating a reaction vessel with a tube bubbling through water, or better yet a little water with H2O2 which save gases as dilute nitric which can be reused, which also should only be done outside or under a good fume hood...

Please keep in mind that Refining Precious Metal Wastes was first published in 1940.

While the book is, in my opinion, one of the essentials in the library of anyone involved in precious metal recovery and refining, some information is obsolete. Many of the safety concerns within are dated, with better methods abounding. For example, a fan blowing potential fumes out the window may have been quite valid in 1940. Today, however, a fume hood is considered essential for safety, with some hoods having add ons, such as scrubbers or burners.

This and other examples do not diminish the fact that this is still the best primer available for recovery and refining of jewelers wastes. We simply have to recognize, accept, and adapt when we find something that seems contrary to what is accepted today.

I need another coffee.

galenrog said:
Please keep in mind that Refining Precious Metal Wastes was first published in 1940.

While the book is, in my opinion, one of the essentials in the library of anyone involved in precious metal recovery and refining, some information is obsolete. Many of the safety concerns within are dated, with better methods abounding. For example, a fan blowing potential fumes out the window may have been quite valid in 1940. Today, however, a fume hood is considered essential for safety, with some hoods having add ons, such as scrubbers or burners.

This and other examples do not diminish the fact that this is still the best primer available for recovery and refining of jewelers wastes. We simply have to recognize, accept, and adapt when we find something that seems contrary to what is accepted today.

I need another coffee.

Understand and agree completely.

I wasn't going to try it - just a curiosity. The book is great!

You've got good coffee up there - better than Seattle. :D

James

Back