deleted

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzz

deleted

It is against board policy to delete posts. If you don't want information put before the readers, don't post.

I am banning you from the forum for violating our rules of operation.

Harold

zzz said:
Recovery the nitrate salt for make distillation: obviusly the nitric used to make aqua regia is irrecoverable...

Could you not recover nitric if a reaction is performed in a distillation setup? This process seems a bit involved. Would you ever consider making a video?

goldenchild said:
zzz said:
Recovery the nitrate salt for make distillation: obviusly the nitric used to make aqua regia is irrecoverable...

Could you not recover nitric if a reaction is performed in a distillation setup? This process seems a bit involved. Would you ever consider making a video?

You can setup an apparatus for bubbling no2 in water or h2o2, but I find it uncomfortable. If you keep copper nitrate and sulfate salt, you will make one large quantitative procedure, that increase yield. You need to do that for a large scale of recovery not for 100ml.

(i'd like to make a video, but right now i have not the time for make one...maybe a will make a photo tutorial so everyone will can see the result)

I was actually thinking of fractional distillation with the feed stock placed into the reaction vessel to react. No bubbling.

Image+-+Fractional+Distillation.jpg

goldenchild said:
I was actually thinking of fractional distillation with the feed stock placed into the reaction vessel to react. No bubbling.

goldenchild,
there are not distillation of nitric from aqua regia because with heat you will form nitrosyl chloride (and not nitric) that decompose in NO2 and Cl.

This sounds a lot like a process I use to make nitric acid when I remove gold from pins, and also make copper sulfate.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=kill+two+birds+one+stone+&num=1000&ft=i&as_sitesearch=goldrefiningforum.com&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any

zzz said:
goldenchild said:

goldenchild,
there are not distillation of nitric from aqua regia because with heat you will form nitrosyl chloride (and not nitric) that decompose in NO2 and Cl.

So the red fumes coming off a reaction are not nitric and can't be condensed? I'm talking about dissolving metals with both AR or just nitric.

goldenchild said:
zzz said:
goldenchild said:

goldenchild,

So the red fumes coming off a reaction are not nitric and can't be condensed? I'm talking about dissolving metals with both AR or just nitric.

Pure nitric acid is trasparent, like water.

I tried also to add directly sulfuric acid into reaction vessel of gold pins with nitric to restore nitric strengt, it work, but is a little wasteful and you need to work with an excess of water because sulfate salt created can crystallize, or can form foam, and could give you a lot of trouble (like metastannic).

"I tried also to add directly sulfuric acid into reaction vessel of gold pins with nitric to restore nitric strengt, it work, but is a little wasteful and you need to work with an excess of water because sulfate salt created can crystallize, or can form foam, and could give you a lot of trouble (like metastannic)."

zzz,
Did you read how I do the reaction in to kill two birds with one stone?

The pins need to be clean of tin and solder for best results, also cutting the pins help to get all of the copper to react easier.

I have no foaming other than when concentrated HNO3 in solution azeotropes, this reaction of vigorous bubbling that I am talking about at the point of azeotrope of the acid would happen even if the only thing I had in the reaction vessel was NaNO3 and sulfuric acid, I am not sure if the reaction I have is the same thing as you are describing when your mentioning you noticed foam or not, but when I see the tiny bubbles of this reaction begin the heat is lowered till the reaction of vigorous bubble are slowed from HNO3 wanting to react too fast and boil out almost all at once later the heat is raised again.

A little extra water I use in the reaction is not a problem for me because I can concentrate the nitric made to 68% by evaporation, or use the more dilute nitric as is, or dilute it further if needed.

The blue copper sulfate that forms if you do not let them cool or form hard salts (keeping them hot and adding boiling water before they harden to salt, to dissolve them before they harden so your gold foils precipitates to the bottom of the dilute blue copper sulfate solution.

The brown fumes of NO2 if bubbled into water will form nitric acid, a little peroxide in solution can help and if some clear fumes of NO the H2O2 can help to make nitric out of these also, there is some lose of the gases also because the bubble are usually large and some of them will not covert the first time they go through water (not enough reaction time in the jar going through water if you were concerned with the little bit of lost gas you could rig up a series of jars to bubble the gases through.

As far as recovering nitric from aqua regia, capturing the NOx gas bubbling it into water to make nitric acid, yes some chloride gases will be carried over and as the NOx forms. Chlorides could be removed with silver nitrate, but that would take a lot of silver nitrate and you then be making silver chloride to deal with, I would not mess with that.

What I do every once in a while is use the evaporated gases from the aqua regia process bubbling it into a water diluted HCl solution with additions of 3% peroxide to make a very dilute aqua regia that can be used with the heat of evaporation on another batch, but aqua regia cannot be stored, and does not last long so this is not done if you cannot use it soon on another batch, (can also be used help clean some of the heavy sludge bubbled into in a stock pot), (this can help to tame some of those rougher fumes from around your aqua regia solution and do a little work with them).

butcher said:
"I tried also to add directly sulfuric acid into reaction vessel of gold pins with nitric to restore nitric strengt, it work, but is a little wasteful and you need to work with an excess of water because sulfate salt created can crystallize, or can form foam, and could give you a lot of trouble (like metastannic)."

zzz,
Did you read how I do the reaction in to kill two birds with one stone?

The pins need to be clean of tin and solder for best results, also cutting the pins help to get all of the copper to react easier.

I have no foaming other than when concentrated HNO3 in solution azeotropes, this reaction of vigorous bubbling that I am talking about at the point of azeotrope of the acid would happen even if the only thing I had in the reaction vessel was NaNO3 and sulfuric acid, I am not sure if the reaction I have is the same thing as you are describing when your mentioning you noticed foam or not, but when I see the tiny bubbles of this reaction begin the heat is lowered till the reaction of vigorous bubble are slowed from HNO3 wanting to react too fast and boil out almost all at once later the heat is raised again.

A little extra water I use in the reaction is not a problem for me because I can concentrate the nitric made to 68% by evaporation, or use the more dilute nitric as is, or dilute it further if needed.

The blue copper sulfate that forms if you do not let them cool or form hard salts (keeping them hot and adding boiling water before they harden to salt, to dissolve them before they harden so your gold foils precipitates to the bottom of the dilute blue copper sulfate solution.

The brown fumes of NO2 if bubbled into water will form nitric acid, a little peroxide in solution can help and if some clear fumes of NO the H2O2 can help to make nitric out of these also, there is some lose of the gases also because the bubble are usually large and some of them will not covert the first time they go through water (not enough reaction time in the jar going through water if you were concerned with the little bit of lost gas you could rig up a series of jars to bubble the gases through.

As far as recovering nitric from aqua regia, capturing the NOx gas bubbling it into water to make nitric acid, yes some chloride gases will be carried over and as the NOx forms. Chlorides could be removed with silver nitrate, but that would take a lot of silver nitrate and you then be making silver chloride to deal with, I would not mess with that.

What I do every once in a while is use the evaporated gases from the aqua regia process bubbling it into a water diluted HCl solution with additions of 3% peroxide to make a very dilute aqua regia that can be used with the heat of evaporation on another batch, but aqua regia cannot be stored, and does not last long so this is not done if you cannot use it soon on another batch, (can also be used help clean some of the heavy sludge bubbled into in a stock pot), (this can help to tame some of those rougher fumes from around your aqua regia solution and do a little work with them).

I saw your post, but too long to read I stopped after 20% of his introduction. Personally i find not convenient to recover nitric bubbling NO2, too uncomfortable, contaminating, and low yield.

If you have not read or done a process, how would you know if it would work or not?

This process was not to just make nitric acid that can be done by just using a nitrate salt and sulfuric acid and distilling.

This process is to recover gold from copper plated pins; make nitric acid in the process, and to make a useful byproduct copper sulfate in one operation, with practically no waste to deal with.

The home made pickle jar distilling rig is a bit unconventional but works well if care is taken, precautions must be taken and principles understood of thermal shock, suck back of cold fluids into a hot vessel, and the other safety concerns of the process, basically the same concerns if you will have if you are using a conventional lab glass distilling rig

The nitric acid I produce from the reaction is not contaminated, and can be used in recovering or refining of metals, it can even be used to dissolve silver, where nitric made with the cold method cannot be used because of the sulfate salts involved, the gold foils come out ready to process, the copper sulfate is re-crystallized to pure crystals of copper sulfate.

The nitric produced is a bit dilute, not a problem for me in most process, many times I use dilute HNO3 in my processes, the dilute HNO3 can be evaporated to 68% if needed.

To kill two birds with one stone
Recover gold; make nitric acid, leaving copper sulfate as a usable byproduct.

Process for pins, nitric acid and copper sulfate

Kill two birds one stone

A few principles:
You need sulfuric with nitrates to create nitric acid,
Gold will not dissolve in nitric acid alone,
Copper will dissolve in nitric acid evolving NO2 gas.
NO2 gas bubbled into water can form nitric acid.
NO2 + H2O --> HNO3
Gold will not dissolve in copper nitrate or copper sulfate.
Nitric acid will evaporate from a solution at a much lower temperature than a sulfate will.
2 NaNO3 + H2SO4 --> Na2SO4 + 2HNO3
Nitrate fertilizer + sulfuric acid = sodium sulfate + nitric acid.
In our case we are using copper to help.
Copper dissolving in nitric acid evolves NO2 fumes.
Cu + 2 HNO3 --> CuNO3 + 2NO2(g) + 2 H2O
When we distill this copper nitrate we remove the Nitrate and leave the copper sulfate behind, diluting this to retrieve our un-dissolved gold.
Copper sulfate is water-soluble.

This is my method for pins (which can be adapted to distill copper nitrate),

(This process can be adapted to other recovery or refining methods to kill two birds with one stone, like recovering nitric or aqua regia while dissolving karate gold)

A distilling unit rig (I have a nice lab distilling unit), but I like my homemade kit, and use it for this process, my unit has survived many distillations, but as with any distilling glass precautions must be observed,

Some supplies I use:
(My Pickle jar distilling kit)
Large pot with handles
Sand
Canning gallon pickle jar
A lid for gallon jar --made from 1/2" thick Teflon, turned on a lath beveled edge to tightly fit jar, small lip on top edge, a hole in center for tight fit of 1/4" hose.
8' 1/4" Teflon hose
Long neck bottle
(For this bottle either loose fitting Teflon cork with hole or just use tape)
Gallon bucket of ice water
Double burner electric hot plate
(Ground fault protected electrical outlet)
Fiberglass catch tray for burner to sit on to catch any spill
Pyrex coffee pot
Some wire, plumbers Teflon tape, cloth tape, electricians black tape
New battery sulfuric acid 10 cups, (we will boil down to 6 cups)
Cup of sodium or Potassium nitrate fertilizer
One pound of (copper) gold plated pins no solder (cut to expose copper to acid)
(Teflon will withstand temperature and fumes of these acids)
(A nearby box of baking soda and water for safety)

Required:
Understand the dangers of these acids, and precautions to take, understand the danger of the nitrous gases formed, and precautions to take, understand the principles of distilling and precautions needed, understand glass cannot withstand thermal shock (rapid temperature change), never cool or lower temperature to boiling reaction vessel without removing line to condenser, work outdoor using breeze or with fume hood, take safety precautions.

Double hotplate sits on fiberglass catch tray; ground fault electrical source is used outdoors

10 cups of sulfuric battery acid boiled down to 6 cups in the Pyrex coffee pot on one burner boil down to 6 cups and cool. To boil off some water in the acid, it will still contain some water (We will use this cool sulfuric acid later)
The large pot, pour an couple of inches of sand in bottom of it spread flat, the gallon canning pickle jar is sit on this sand centered in pot and sand poured in between pots metal and outside jar, to make a boiling reactor with a sand bath. This will help to protect our glass from thermal shock, allowing heat to change slowly, and can act as catch basin if we make a mistake. The 1/4" Teflon hose fits tightly into Teflon lid for our gallon boiling reaction vessel, we will be collecting NOx gas from this vessel, so hose just in through the lid just a little ways.
(Later we will tape on this lid, and tie it down)
(Get tape and wire ready and handy within reach, we will need it as soon as acid is added later)
Get ice water in gallon bucket (plastic ok),
Put small amount of water in the long neck bottle for NOx gas to bubble through ( I add a little H2O2 peroxide to help conversion, it is not necessary), put one end of the Teflon 1/4" hose into this bottle all the way down into bottom of bottle, (through a loose fitting Teflon cork or else just tape hose to top of bottle, air, and some gas will need to escape from this bottle, and we do not want to prevent this with a tight fitting lid), this long neck bottle needs to sit down in iced water of bucket above to condense gas to liquid, and we need to hold it down in ice water (it wants to float till it fills), so we tie in down into ice water, this is our condenser receiver for the NOx fume's which will bubble into water in this longneck bottle and convert to nitric acid, a few loops of this hose is under ice water to help condense fumes also.

Set large pot sand bath with our fancy pickle jar boiler reaction vessel on cold electric hotplate, put one pound solder free (copper) gold plated pins, (cut to expose copper to acid I cut mine small for more exposure), in reaction vessel, add one cup of sodium nitrate fertilizer, (with lid and tape handy ready we will need to put on lid to contain brown NOx fumes in next step), pour in cooled 6 cups sulfuric acid on these, quickly put on Teflon fitting on lid and taping on the with Teflon plumbers tape first, then bandage cloth tape, then black electrical tape sealing this lid well, the insulated solid copper tie wire is tied to one handle of the pot over top of lid on jar and tied to other pot handle, this will hold down the lid when pressure builds,
As soon as you pour the sulfuric acid on the nitrate fertilizer and copper, red brown nitrous gas NOx begins to form, so getting lid on quickly and taping to seal is needed, we will need no heat yet, as it creates its own heat from chemical reaction, turning burner on warm will start to heat pot and sand, with time, the heat will saturate sand and starts to warm the jar. When reaction slows (bubbling in receiver slows) and pot is warm raise heat a little, (little bit at a time) giving time for heat to reach and react chemicals as red fume slow, or gas bubble slow in receiver, we want a steady few bubbles, not too fast we only want the gas to go to the condenser and receiver. (There is a point to where nitric will concentrate to azeotrope in the boiling flask and reaction begins to get more vigorous with red fume’s of NOx gas), keeping a steady stream of bubble into our receiver is our goal, not liquid the blue liquids from our boiling flask).

Caution we do not want to change temperature on glass fast, this thermally shocks glass and will crack or break it, always keep this in mind.
Do not lower the temperature of the boiling vessel, with the hose in the condenser receiver, always remove this hose from the receiver first allowing it to suck air, (this higher temperature in the boiling vessel creates a pressure, and if we lower the temperature on this boiling vessel, it will go into a vacuum, this will suck the cooler condensed liquid back into this hot boiling flask, thus causing thermal shock and cracking our jar, by removing this hose first it just suck’s back air, and not liquid, as the pressure lowers in this boiler reaction vessel.

(I preheat a coffee pot of water, just below boil for procedure below, starting the water heating before hand)

We do not want to evaporate this now forming copper sulfate to a dry salt, we just want to drive out the formed nitric acid, so we evaporate to thick syrup, (I have noticed a color change from blue-green to blue-blue as the nitrates are driven out of the copper sulfate),
After we have evaporated down to syrup,
We want to remove hose from the condenser receiver, before lowering temperature.
(See caution on suck-back of these cooler liquids when lowering temperature of reaction vessel, thermal shock),
We can let cool before diluting this copper sulfate syrup, but this will form salts and it takes more water to dilute, (that may be best for you as this step if not done properly can thermally shock your boiling vessel), I use the water we heated above getting this water to about the same temperature of this syrup, and very slowly adding this water to the syrup to dilute it, starting with just drops at a time, not pouring in all at once, this dissolves the blue copper sulfate and leaves gold shells and powder from pins.
Allow this dilute copper sulfate liquid to settle the gold, and then decant and filter.

These gold foils will need further treatment to refine to pure gold.

This copper sulfate can be evaporated to nice blue crystals of copper sulfate for other chemical reactions, or for an electro cell or other uses, wall mart sells them at a high price to keep roots from growing in sewer lines.

This nitric acid tested for strength, and evaporated to 68% concentration azeotrope if necessary, cool, store the nitric in amber nitric bottle with proper lid, store the nitric acid out of light (light breaks down nitric). Store in safe place for later use in recovery or refining

Distilling copper nitrate, (adding copper or gold plated copper can assist creating NOx fumes in boil, which also is a way I get gold plating from Pins. killing two birds one stone) would get nitric back from copper chloride solutions, bubble NOx gas into water, for dilute nitric, which can then evaporate water from dilute nitric until 68%HNO3 azeotrope, (many acids form azeotropes), so if just evaporating a dilute nitric solution, below the boiling point of the acid (for the concentration that the acid is at the time in solution), would boil off water (or other volatile components if in solution), making the acid more concentrated in solution, up to the azeotrope of the acid, which for nitric is about 68%, further boiling would only boil off the 68% solution till dry, meaning it cannot be further concentrated by this method, by using the boiling point information a person can have a good idea if they are boiling off acid or just water, the concentration can be tested with specific gravity, or judged by how it attacks metals.

(100% H2O) boils @100 degC density 1.00.
20% HNO3 density 1.115- boiling point 103 degC.
30% HNO3 density1.180 boiling point 107 degC.
50% HNO3 density 1.310 boiling point 116 degC.
70% HNO3 density 1.413 boiling point 121.5 degC.

As you can see the boiling points change with how concentrated the acid is. Keeping below the boiling point most all of your acid stays in solution, and mostly water vapors off, above the boiling point acid leaves solution in vapors with the water.
Other acids and have reaction similar to this. For more information you can study the azeotrope of acid, boiling points, acid concentrating.

butcher said:
If you have not read or done a process, how would you know if it would work or not?
With intuition, because large scale is ever better than small scale...
i talked about how to recover a large amount of nitric and how to recover sulfuric from any sulfate salt.

For some of the long informative post Butcher writes i almost feel i should be paying him. Great job brother!

you are correct the process I posted would not be good for making nitric acid on a large scale.

I guess what you determine to be a large scale could also make a difference in what approach would be best to make the HNO3,
Industrially using nitrate and sulfuric acid methods are not used as much as us little guys use to make the acid in our back yard.

Recovering sulfuric acid from a salt why?

I would find a use for the salt or find a market for the salt,change the form of the salt to another useful salt,on a small scale, or if doing this on large scale.
the salts can be worth more than the sulfuric acid made from them.

Sulfide ore or Rock is cheap, and can be made into sulfuric acid, it is the fuel ($) and the equipment needed that makes making sulfuric acid hard or expensive, especially if not done industrially, it would be just as easy to roast sulfide ore and make oleum then dilute to make sulfuric acid, but why? sulfuric is a byproduct of company's having to comply with emissions and air quality standards in their processing, these company's need to get rid of this byproduct, and sell it cheap and also look for markets to get rid of all of the sulfuric acid they generate.

I do have good luck when I make nitric acid, I make it with many different methods and different strengths, I also like use my byproducts in several reaction's or other processes.

If I am just making nitric acid, one of the things I like using my sulfate salts for is a batch of pretty green crystals of ferrous sulfate, (this works best when using bisulfate salts from when you make the stronger nitric) , I use the ferrous sulfate (copperas) crystals to test for gold in solution or to precipitate gold from solution.

ZZZ, I like how you are also working (and thinking) to use your byproducts when you work, that is a good idea, and a smart thing to do. I noted some things below from what I understood in your the post above, that I believe would not work well, if I am understanding what you were saying in that post.

zzz said:
Hi everyone, some weeks ago i wrote a post where i said that i'm able to make 5 liters of high concentrated nitric acid with 2 $ of spending.
Well the yield is better because you will only need the first spending for sulfuric and nitric salt than you can recovery all you have used.
We need to have an initial point where to make our first nitric acid distillation. I personally prefer potassium nitrate and sulfuric used for clean.

Making the right proportion for distillation: 2 KNO3 + H2SO4 > 2 HNO3 + K2SO4

Recovery the nitrate salt for make distillation: obviusly the nitric used to make aqua regia is irrecoverable, but if you used that for dissolve silver for inquartation (silver will passivate in the chloride solution) or for dissolve copper in gold pin, you can reuse copper nitrate as salt to make distillation, forming useful CuSO4 as product, (if this came from aqua regia distillation You would still have chlorides involved) and now everybody know that with electrolisys you can recovery the sulfuric acid (and also pure copper) from this, but above all, this allows you to skip the next step that consists in recovering sulfuric acid from everyother sulfiric salt different from CuSO4.

Recovery sulfuric acid procedure from everyother sulfuric salt different from copper sulfate (what everyone wants to know): in this distillation example we have as product K2SO4.
Take it and make a satured solution in water (is a little bit difficult to dissolve once is cristallized, use hot boiling water to do that)...
now all you can do is to add Copper Chloride (in satured solution or in powder as you prefer -> so keep copper chloride) and you will have a white precipitation of Potassium Chloride (CuCl2 + K2SO4 --> NO Reaction you just have a solution of potassium, chlorides,sulfates and copper ions floating around in solution nothing here is insoluble so there is no reaction) (very useful and expensive chemical product) and a satured solution of Copper Sulfate, that brings you to the end of point 1. You will have a precipitation of Potassium Chloride because his solubility is very very lower than Copper Sulfate, so Copper Sulfate will take the place in solution. .(see above no precipitant)(i've never tried point 2 with calcium sulfate so i don't know if it will work with it, but it should)

Putting togheter point 1 and point 2, now you know why I said that.

Now you have also a trick to use well copper chloride and how to recover copper from it.

I hope i was helpuf to everybody.

butcher said:
I do have good luck when I make nitric acid, I make it with many different methods and different strengths, I also like use my byproducts in several reaction's or other processes.

If I am just making nitric acid, one of the things I like using my sulfate salts for is a batch of pretty green crystals of ferrous sulfate, (this works best when using bisulfate salts from when you make the stronger nitric) , I use the ferrous sulfate (copperas) crystals to test for gold in solution or to precipitate gold from solution.

ZZZ, I like how you are also working (and thinking) to use your byproducts when you work, that is a good idea, and a smart thing to do. I noted some things below from what I understood in your the post above, that I believe would not work well, if I am understanding what you were saying in that post.

zzz said:
Recovery the nitrate salt for make distillation: obviusly the nitric used to make aqua regia is irrecoverable, but if you used that for dissolve silver for inquartation (silver will passivate in the chloride solution)

Recovery sulfuric acid procedure from everyother sulfuric salt different from copper sulfate (what everyone wants to know): in this distillation example we have as product K2SO4.
Take it and make a satured solution in water (is a little bit difficult to dissolve once is cristallized, use hot boiling water to do that)...
now all you can do is to add Copper Chloride (in satured solution or in powder as you prefer -> so keep copper chloride) and you will have a white precipitation of Potassium Chloride (CuCl2 + K2SO4 --> NO Reaction you just have a solution of potassium, chlorides,sulfates and copper ions floating around in solution nothing here is insoluble so there is no reaction)

In the first example the subject was nitric acid.
In the second = maybe it will form also a little bit of uranium in addition to what you said.

zzz said:
butcher said:

zzz said:
Recovery the nitrate salt for make distillation: obviusly the nitric used to make aqua regia is irrecoverable, but if you used that for dissolve silver for inquartation (silver will passivate in the chloride solution)

now all you can do is to add Copper Chloride (in satured solution or in powder as you prefer -> so keep copper chloride) and you will have a white precipitation of Potassium Chloride (CuCl2 + K2SO4 --> NO Reaction you just have a solution of potassium, chlorides,sulfates and copper ions floating around in solution nothing here is insoluble so there is no reaction)

In the first example the subject was nitric acid.
In the second = maybe it will form also a little bit of uranium in addition to what you said.

Is that suppose to be funny after that man went out of his way to try and help you?

ZZZ,
How can we discuss this subject to where we both get a better understanding, so we will both come up with good processes?
I have to admit I had a hard time understanding what you were describing in that post, and I may have misunderstood the intent, or the chemistry you were trying to describe.
Lets see if we can work together to help each other learn more.

Back