How can I figure out the purity of random gold pieces?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoldyGoldy

Hi, I'm new here and I tried to find a way in which I can use chemicals to figure out the purity of a gold substance, problem is I am having difficulty finding an answer to it. Any help?

Hoke's, " Testing Precious Metals:" covers the whole shootin match.

I ran across a rather peculiar way the other day at the jewelry store. The Jeweler was and old timer working at a wodden bench that had to be almost twice as old as him... anyway, his method for testing gold was to roll it flat. he would polish the end up to make sure it was free from flux and other contaminants. He then took a torch and melted the tip just enough to get the gold to bead up small bit. He could then tell (from years of experience) what the karat was by the oxidation left behind on the gold. impurities leave a behind a trace of oxidation where high purity gold will not leave any. It was astoundingly simple. and by the way, he showed me a couple different karats, and backed up his claims of purity with the acid testers... he was spot on... no pun intended :)

M

Back