refining gold from dust

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sakosakarian said:
i have dust containing gold and metals how can i refine pure gold

Dear Sakosakarian

It would help if you would write a little more, your post are very small and often state that you have silver salt , or gold dust
It would help if you write how much gold dust , is it from a jeweler shop , or from a plating machine
are you 100 % sure it is gold dust , or did somebody tell you that there is gold between the dust ?
is the other metal magnetic ? what other kind of metal is there ?

In my signature there is a link to a book , it is a great book with a lot of knowledge about refining if you read the book you will understand a little more about the process and it will be more easy to ask a question. and that will make it more easy for others to answer

scm

there are factories that collect dust on the ground that would be full of metals, soil, dust, metals,... so what im doing is burning them then magnetizing to take out the metals, afterwards i apply aqua regia, then i put caustic soda to kill to acid then i filter and then sodium sulfite is added. gold drops to the bottom and calcareous substance as well as impurities also deposits with it. how can i improve my method so that no impurities are obtained with the gold in the end?

sakosakarian said:
there are factories that collect dust on the ground that would be full of metals, soil, dust, metals,... so what im doing is burning them then magnetizing to take out the metals, afterwards i apply aqua regia, then i put caustic soda to kill to acid then i filter and then sodium sulfite is added. gold drops to the bottom and calcareous substance as well as impurities also deposits with it. how can i improve my method so that no impurities are obtained with the gold in the end?

Ok now I understand , it is simple read Hoke´s book you can find all information about impurities in there

you can download it from my signature

scm

adding caustic soda to aqua regia for the purpose of de-noxxing a solution is not the best way to go, as a matter of fact (from what i understand) it could be the worst way. when you raise the PH enough, you will precipitate metal hydroxides. this may be the cause of your impurities. when using aqua regia (AR) the best way is to add nitric acid in increments with small additions spaced out over time. a good indication that the dissolution is complete is when there is no more NOx (red fumes) being produced.

Back