Sourcing easy to buy Ammonia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captobvious

I seem to recall a pdf floating around that had a list of chemicals and their common names found in hardware stores etc. Well I've spent the morning searching and searching but can't find it and need to source some ammonia for cleaning gold via the "bright and shiny gold" tutorial. Any thoughts on either point?

any super market in the USA will have household ammonia. thats what i use. avoid the colored or scented brands. buy just the white (clear) ammonia from the cleaning supplies section.

Thanks Geo, I wasn't sure if those would be potent enough or not.... seems everything I find is "lemon scented" or combined with all kinds of other chemicals that I really don't want. Guess I'll go look harder then :)

Captobvious said:
Thanks Geo, I wasn't sure if those would be potent enough or not.... seems everything I find is "lemon scented" or combined with all kinds of other chemicals that I really don't want. Guess I'll go look harder then :)

Captobvious

I have had the same problem as you finding regular clear ammonia.I just use the yellow lemon scented and it still turns blue/purple when any silver is present.I made sure that it was working right by using a known sample of gold/silver mix and then a known gold sample without silver.The latter of the two samples stayed ammonia colored and the silver sample turned blue/purple.

P.S remember to always add hcl acid back to the filtered blue ammonia,until you get the blue color out or you'll end up with some really unstable stuff if it dries out.

modtheworld44

goldsilverpro said:
The cheap generic brands often are the purest, since they don't spend extra money to add perfume and dye.
Yep. Try places like Family Dollar, Odd Lots/Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Dollar General, and, dare I say, Wally World and other discount oriented stores.

Dave

Back