How to refine gold filled

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicvwbug

I recently bought a bag full of gold filled wrist bands. Theres at least 50 of them. I have removed all the caps but I dont know what to do now. Im clueless. Ive tried reading forums but i just dont understand. I was wondering if anybody has a video or a simple process on how to get the gold out of the caps. I very new to refining gold filled and dont know what to do.

Hello classicvwbug and welcome to the forum that will teach you.
You wont watch a video or something and be able to wave the magic wand and have gold in hand. Sorry. Thousands of years of trying and we still have to do it by learning the processes and dangers involved.
Start by reading through the welcome and you will be on your way to learning like men have since the shiny has blinded them.
Good luck and may you find what you seek.

B.S.

You may have noticed my never ending suggestion to read Hoke's book. If you have not, you've already committed a cardinal sin where this board is concerned. Here, we expect you to do the necessary work required to have an understanding of what you're trying to do. That includes reading the posts on this board, in which I constantly preach to readers to READ HOKE'S BOOK. It applies in your case, too.

Until you understand how these things work, you shouldn't be trying to process anything. It's little different from someone handing you the keys to an airplane and telling you to take a joy ride, when you have no clue how to pilot an aircraft. If you think someone can give you the information you need in ten words or less, you're sadly mistaken.

Read Hoke's' book. Then read it again. Read it until the questions you now have are answered. It's all there---and you shouldn't even think of attempting refining until you have these answers. Do the tests she recommends, and make the required standard and test solutions, too. Otherwise you're going to come back to this forum at every turn, asking for yet more guidance. That's going to tip off the readers that you think you're exempt from the learning process, and result in your being banned from the board. We have a strict policy about not spoon feeding people here. They are expected to do their homework and learn the basics, so further instruction has meaning.

Consider yourself fortunate. I would have normally banned you already. Eleven minutes on the board and already asking stupid questions!
Follow this link, and take it to heart. I mean it word for word.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19074

Harold

If we spoon fed people they would never be able to learn recovery and refining metals, it Is only through hard work and dedication that we learn this skill, you have been given some very good advice, if you wish to learn to recover and refine gold, following this advice which will get you well on your way to learning this complicated skill.

The forum will help those learning that run into a problem in their study, and we share information that is very helpful with our study, but there is just no way anyone could ask enough questions or get enough answer to learn what we do, by asking questions, without study they would not understand answers, and there is no way anyone could give all those answers, without study you would not even know what questions to ask or how to find answers to those questions, even when the answer are sitting right there in front of you, you would not recognize it, with out the understanding and knowledge you gain by study.

If you wish to get easy gold sell what you have and buy easy gold, if you wish to learn to recover and refine gold you will have to spend years of study, and hard work.

In this study you not only gain that little bit of gold, but you gain an education that is worth more than a gold mine.

While you are reading and learning the basics needed to process any form of recovered gold from Hokes, you can also read this long thread from a member named Oneals58, who, try as he might, was not fully able to grasp the whole concept of hokes book.
You will realize that as you read the thread;
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=11945

Even though his heart was wanting to do this, his grasp of what we were telling him just wasn't where it needed to be in order to understand what we were telling him. Which IS where you are at this point.

I don't say this in a bad way. You just don't yet know what you don't know and that thread will help you realize what the above posts are trying to tell you, while at the same time that thread addresses exactly what you are looking for.

classicvwbug said:
I recently bought a bag full of gold filled wrist bands. Theres at least 50 of them. I have removed all the caps but I dont know what to do now. Im clueless. Ive tried reading forums but i just dont understand. I was wondering if anybody has a video or a simple process on how to get the gold out of the caps. I very new to refining gold filled and dont know what to do.

Members are giving you 100% accurate advice, ive been refining now 2 yrs. while reading & reading and only just now have 1/3rd of an ounce of 24K Gold in finished metalic form that im proud of sitting in my safe. Now that ive finally figured out what the heck im doing I should have several ounces easily by the yrs. end now with the large refining hoard ive attained & luckly didn't screw with till I had researched what I was about to attempt. As has been mentioned the learning curve is akin to learning to pilot an aircraft safely from take off to landing & in between. Small batches are critical in the beginning with lots of large containers capable of containing large quantitys of water for rinsing & holding of acids etc.
Don't make the mistake of dumping anything except 24K solid Gold into AR or you will have a real mess to contend with (which may or may not be salvageable)as there are so many different metals combined in so many forms from old jewelry to metal pins & PC fingers etc. The watchbands will contain a large amount of waste metals so be warned. Read Hokes book as was stated, it will explain several different methods to deal with just about any situation. One last thing I will mention is filtering & rinsing religiously is an understatement. If possible buy yourself a Buchner filter or two, best investment ive purchased yet.
Best of luck & remember read, read, read.....................then, attempt a small batch. The cleaner the refining is at the start the easier it is to refine period. That is the only easy statement one can make about refining.
Also, this is a very dangerious process & not just to you but family, pets, neighbors, etc....be certain of plenty of space & fresh air between you & them.
Dave

Hi Jim,
yes, I see that now thanks. Being what is involved in the processes im not surprised. Not for the faint of heart or the casual dabbler refining is a tedious, and dangerious but rewarding art. Not for everyone but the dedicated with access to lots of open air or a hood vent. Getting a free or cheap product also, (say one works at or owns a PC or jewelry shop etc...)to start with is getting harder every day also. Next time I waste my effort Ill look closer at the post date.
Dave

Latest posts

Back