Stannous Chloride Hemihydrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz

I just received a package container the Stannous Chloride crystals that i ordered last week.

They normally send me Stannous Chloride Dihydrate but this time i received Stannous Chloride Hemihydrate.

Maybe i clicked on the wrong button, not sure but can anyone tell me if i have to mix this up any differently
to the usual Dihydrate?

I normally put a small amount of HCl in a 50ml beaker and saturate it with the crystals.

Buzz

Hi Buzz

I can't answer your question but just as future reference you can make your own Stannous Chloride at home without buying it. Tin solder in HCl does the trick mate.

it is the stoichiometric amount of crystal water bound in the crystalls. There are materials that are unsoluble in their water free form. But I never read this about SnCl2. It should work....unless it is unsoluble ^^

dihydrate: SnCl2*2H2O
hemihydrate: SnCl2*1/2H2O

I can't answer your question but just as future reference you can make your own Stannous Chloride at home without buying it. Tin solder in HCl does the trick mate.

Yeah, i know but for £2.75 for 100g, saves all the hassle of trying to find lead free solder.
I know the guys on here recommend 95/5 Tin/Antimony.
Never been able to find any.

it is the stoichiometric amount of crystal water bound in the crystalls. There are materials that are unsoluble in their water free form. But I never read this about SnCl2. It should work....unless it is unsoluble ^^

Thanks Solar,
Only one way to find out really :lol:

Buzz

Screwfix sell solder suitable for making stannous chloride, you need the one on the green roll not the yellow roll, it is also available from B&Q

Cheers Martyn,

I'll have a peek in screwfix next time i'm passing.
I've looked in my local B&Q plenty of times but couldn't see any.
Maybe i need to visit one of their warehouse stores.

After saying that though, this 100g of Hemihydrate should last me a lifetime!

Cheers
Buzz

Back