what kind of chemicals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ghostrecon said:
what kind of chemicals do i need to melt gold off computer chips

You need to start studying the forum, and if you have to ask questions, try them in the search box!

Jim

ghostrecon said:
jimdoc said:
ghostrecon said:

You need to start studying the forum, and if you have to ask questions, try them in the search box!

Jim
thanks

That might sound a bit harsh but it is really meant to help. I have only been here a short time and one of the first things I found was that very often I could find the answer to most of my basic questions quite easily with a basic search. I have also found more solid, fact driven information here than most other places on the internet combined, real, honest, and useful information. Not the half cooked ideas of so many of the other sights I have looked at.

ghostrecon said:

Heh! If you have to ask a question like that, you're already in dangerous territory, as we don't cater to folks who don't have a clue.

Lets begin with this bit of advice.

One of the things we expect of our readers is that they use proper terminology. To that end, it is important that you understand that one does not use chemicals to "melt" gold from anything. The proper term is dissolve, which is not remotely related to melting, so it is not permitted to be used in that context. Refrain from posting until you have at least a basic understanding of refining.

The advice to read is not just a good idea--it can keep a new reader from getting banned from the forum. We've had more than our fill of readers who are unwilling to do the least bit of work on their behalf in order to gain knowledge in refining. For some reason, they tend to have the idea that all one must do is ask questions, and the board will cater to their every whim. Turns out, the only whim that gets catered is I get to exercise my finger, as I hit the ban button.

Download Hoke's book and start reading. Don't just skim through it. Read it, then read it again. Read it until you understand what it tells you. Also, read the board. Do that until you understand what's going on. That way you'll enjoy a long stay here, if that's your objective.

In addition, if you hope to be on good terms with those of us on the board, start using upper case letters where they're appropriate, as well as punctuation. I get out of sorts with posts like yours in a hurry, as they're too much like text lingo.

Harold

This is coming from a new guy. But everything these gentlemen are telling you is the truth. If this is something you really want to do you will invest the time and effort to studying your new trade or hobby if you will. I will say from experience that reading these forums along with Hoke's book saved me from making a certain acid the wrong way...many posts/videos (youtube) would say a "nitrate salt of this" but would never say what nitrate to NOT use. Well it turned out that I had a certain nitrate on hand (the wrong one) and was planning on making my acid. But i decided to research a little more. On the forum here I found that you could make a pretty nasty mess if you mixed X nitrate to make a certain acid. To say it humbly, this forum probably saved my life! Common sense is the key. These guys want nothing but you to be able to reclaim the gold you seek, but want you safe and knowledgeable at the same time. No one wants to hear of a bad accident that happens due to someone watching a video and going thru the steps without knowing what they're doing. For instance, in most of the videos done by the pros or seasoned refiners, there are things you don't see that they have on hand (in the background) in the event acid gets outta control or a fire etc. It's that stuff that a novice doesn't know until he/she has done their research. I'm not making a case here or trying to dissuade you from the forum. I hope you stay and continue to learn as i have and continue to do. It's good stuff to know, and very interesting to say the least but please read. Other than that welcome!

Sharding757 said:
This is coming from a new guy. But everything these gentlemen are telling you is the truth. If this is something you really want to do you will invest the time and effort to studying your new trade or hobby if you will. I will say from experience that reading these forums along with Hoke's book saved me from making a certain acid the wrong way...many posts/videos (youtube) would say a "nitrate salt of this" but would never say what nitrate to NOT use. Well it turned out that I had a certain nitrate on hand (the wrong one) and was planning on making my acid. But i decided to research a little more. On the forum here I found that you could make a pretty nasty mess if you mixed X nitrate to make a certain acid. To say it humbly, this forum probably saved my life! Common sense is the key. These guys want nothing but you to be able to reclaim the gold you seek, but want you safe and knowledgeable at the same time. No one wants to hear of a bad accident that happens due to someone watching a video and going thru the steps without knowing what they're doing. For instance, in most of the videos done by the pros or seasoned refiners, there are things you don't see that they have on hand (in the background) in the event acid gets outta control or a fire etc. It's that stuff that a novice doesn't know until he/she has done their research. I'm not making a case here or trying to dissuade you from the forum. I hope you stay and continue to learn as i have and continue to do. It's good stuff to know, and very interesting to say the least but please read. Other than that welcome!

Very good advice from a relatively new member, wish i had known about this forum a 2 yrs. ago.
Would have saved me from making a few poor escrap choices to say the least...................
Dave

Back