Technaflora pH down for nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldscraphobby

How well would this work on large gold plated aluminum housings (nickle underplate)
http://www.technaflora.com/indexProduct.php?ID=114

Claims to be 5-10% nitric. Looking for a way to remove the plating from these http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=20355

I haven't had time or the place to setup a cell, yet.

If I just sit the housing in this pH down would it attack the aluminum enough to get the gold off or do I need to concentrate it down?

Thanks

I have heard they sell very dilute nitric acid as fertilizers.

If it is dilute nitric acid (with no additives or other compounds, which it could be, I do not know.), you can evaporate water to get a more concentrated nitric acid.

Using the dilute acid on metals, with heat, the acid will react with metals and concentrate at the same time, (evolving water as steam, along with some other nitrogen oxide gases of the reaction which can toxic).

I would heat it below boiling, just to where you see some vapors of steam emitted, be sure not to do this inside without a fume hood, not in your house or where you have anything of metal you value like your garage or tool shed, work outdoors or in a dedicated work area with a fume hood.

Some of these gases are visible, some are not, just because you do not see them, or smell them does not mean they will not harm you or the other things around you.

Never seen just Nitric Acid alone in any type of fertilizer. As in PH Down, it is usually accompanied by other elements/ingredients. PH Down may not only have Nitric Acid, but also Phosphoric acid, Citric acid and Vinegar all used to lower PH.

Smack said:
Never seen just Nitric Acid alone in any type of fertilizer. As in PH Down, it is usually accompanied by other elements/ingredients. PH Down may not only have Nitric Acid, but also Phosphoric acid, Citric acid and Vinegar all used to lower PH.
The MSDS only shows 5-10% nitric but often they only show the hazardous ingredients.

goldsilverpro said:
Smack said:
The MSDS only shows 5-10% nitric but often they only show the hazardous ingredients.

It's a tough one GSP because there are quite a few different types of PH Down, there is a pool version, food grade, one that I think uses HCL one that uses Sulfuric, you really gotta do your research as you well know before you go using off the shelf consumer items like this as you could very well make something that goes boom. I would say don't use it and he should stick with what's known to work and works well.

I would like to but I cannot find any nitric locally and the cost to ship is very high, and most will not ship to a residental address.
If this would work to get the gold off then I can run it through AP (after cleaning)

I want to do a cell but need a safe and secure place to keep and run it. I'll keep looking there has to be a place in south NJ or philadelphia that carries nitric

Back